A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NTB Screwed Me

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 11:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NTB Screwed Me

I have a story to tell about my '97 A8

On October 12th I had a set of tires changed on my Audi. When they were done they told me I was all set and could take the car out of the bay. As I was backing out (with the windows closed) everyone started waving their arms. I stopped and got out and saw that the whole front fascia was coming off of the car. The lift had caught on the splash pan and under engine fascia and plastic pieces had broken off everywhere.

I was pissed and then without warning the manager-trainee there started screaming at me that I was driving way too fast. I had driven the car a total of 3-6 feet, how fast could I have gone. I was just backing up easily and felt a little resistance like the wheels were in a depression or were going over one of the arms and then touched the gas a little more. I bet I never came close to 5 MPH.

The manager saw how upset I was and came over and said not to worry about it, that he saw everything and that they would take care of it. He told me to get an estimate and bring it in.

I had it appraised that afternoon, $2231.46, by Clair Audi near Boston. I brought the estimate to the manager the next day. He said he would send it in to the main office and I could expect to hear from them very soon.

One month later I had still not heard. I called the store and found out that the manager had been transferred. The new manager said he would check and call back. Two weeks later I had no rersponse.

I called today and the manager said that the claim had been denied. Once I got in and drove they were not liable.

I called the old manager at his new store and he was surprised at the result. I called the NTB national line and filed a claim review. A cou[ple of hours later, an Al Wing from NTB calls me and says that it was clearly my fault and that they would not pay.

I have $2000 deductible on my collision so it is not even worth putting in a claim.
It looks like I will need to get a lawyer and bring them to court.

I called the local police and I cannot even picket in front of the store without a permit and paying for a police detail for protection.

Any advice?
Old 11-21-2007, 11:41 AM

Default I can't believe it even happened in the first place. At the NTB around here, they

always drive the car out of the shop and park it for you. I find it odd that yours does not have the same policy.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: I can't believe it even happened in the first place. At the NTB around here, they

I also found it odd because I have never been allowed to do it anywhere in the last 20+ years. Most places are posted that you cannot go out into the service area and usually you can't even see your vehicle.

The more I think about it, I wonder if I was set up in the whole situation. I had complained about an hour earlier about how long it was taking. I was waiting for 3 hours when their was only one other car in about 6-7 bays, plus everyone was just standing around talking.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:09 PM
Banned

Write letter to CEO, politely, explaining what happened, send FedEx. Then lawyer up if no response.
Old 11-21-2007, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
Default I agree with you about the possibility of a set up. Our service facilities would never allow

a customer to drive their vehicle in or out of our service bays. The only way it would happen if you had a special controls or some weird circumstance.
Old 11-21-2007, 02:30 PM

Default NTB Screwed Me

I'm betting they knew the car was possibly hooked on the lift and from some reason thought they would be better off with you driving. But the car was damaged by their equipment, not your driving.

Local car dealer left a car up on a hydraulic lift, with part of the car supported by 6' rigid stand. Overnight the unlocked lift leaked down (say that fast). In the AM the customer's car was found flipped upside down on the floor.
Whoopsie!
Old 11-21-2007, 03:46 PM

Default That's a possibility. Maybe they realized what would happen if they tried to pull it out, so

they decided to have you do it.
Old 11-21-2007, 07:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default good luck with their customer service line

About 5 years ago, they mismounted a 17" tire and let me drive off with the directional tire on the wrong side ( they couldnt read non-spanish) and they somehow punctured the tire on the install and let me drive off with a loud hissing sound of air rushing out of the tire.

All I got was some phone number with voicemail on it. Was a total dead end, cost me a tire and a lot of hassles
Old 11-22-2007, 05:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default So why do people keep going back to shops chain repair stores......

I cant understand this.I am a shop owner and would never let a customer back a vehicle out.In the search for a good deal this is what happens, spend a little more and find a shop that is reputable.i'd almost bet the damaged happened when they drove the car ON the lift and had YOU back it out.I ve hired personell {once]from a store like this they develope bad habits and a poor set of standards.Its hard to find good help,I once made the a suggestion to an employee "treat custmer vehicles as if they were your own" then I woke up and looked at his possesions and thought to myself OH *(&^&^%$
Sorry for your shunt of bad luck good luck!!
Old 11-22-2007, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Call me paranoid, but...

regardless of what kind of tire service I need, I ALWAYS bring wheels & tires only. I never drive the car requiring tire service. There an infinite number of ways something unrelated to the actual job can be compromised.

My favorite scene is when I was navigating my way to a parking spot at the local Discount Tire store. One of the employees had just finished something on a customers car and was pulling it out of the bay. I saw what was going on well in advance and waited at 3x the comfortable distance for the guy to back out. He proceeds out of the bay cutting the turn too tight and puts the left rear corner of the car into one of the large red barrier posts. Oops. The guy was in a hurry and wasn't going slow either.

Quick Reply: NTB Screwed Me