A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OK.....got the drivers side upper control arms in.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2005, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OK.....got the drivers side upper control arms in.....

man what a PITA. Once I hammered the damn bolt out near the ball joints, I found I made a little mushroom head out of the end of the bolt. In my stupid haste, I forgot to buy the new bolt. I ground the end at a 45 degree and threaded the nut back on....nice, saved. If you have lowering springs, dropping the shock assembly is a piece of cake! I didnt drop the front lower straight arm. I just took the bolt out of the bottom of the shock tower and pushed the suspension assembly down a bit and manuevered the shock mount around the bushing. Unbolt the control arm mounts (part #10) in Bentley. It drops beautifully. I know I can change shocks really easy now. Anyways....after all of this my clunking is still very loud and still there. Both sides of the car make that noise. Anyone have any suggestions where the steering looseness and clunking is coming from. Tierod ends? Hopefully not the steering rack. My buddy in his 2.7t A6 had some clunking in his steering then his rack went out!!! 2200 bucks later, he's back to his drivable car with powersteering. I will do the other side and take more pictures tomorrow....I'm whipped!
Old 04-26-2005, 10:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: OK.....got the drivers side upper control arms in.....

I havenâ€<sup>TM</sup>t followed your attempts to diagnose and fix the problem … so for what its worthâ€"I have a bad tie rod, not the end but the tie rod. To check for tie rod or TR-end problems jack one front wheel, grab the tire and try to twist it back and forth an up and down. You have to really be aggressive so make sure you put a jack stand under the car and maybe use your jack in a second location as a safety.

The first time I did this I found the weakest link ( upper front) but I still had a clunk after I replaced it. Second time I checked it I found the tie rod was worn. There was play in the wheel and I could still make a clunk.

If you have lowered your car then I doubt it is the rubber mount on top of the strut or the strut itself.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

When exactly do you get the clunk? Turning? On the gas? Braking? Over bumps?
Old 04-27-2005, 03:37 AM

Default My "Klunk" was the result of a lower curved arm and tie rod worn ball joint

For the full story search for KLUNK....
Old 04-27-2005, 04:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Well, I've replaced every component besides the sway bar link and the tierod components. I'm just

going to replace everything so its fresh. I'm getting annoyed so I think I'm gonna have a shop do the tierods. I get the clunking on small bumps and when I turn left and right, left and right while driving and being parked.
Old 04-27-2005, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Don't know when you have the klunking issue...

I had it over rough roads/ bumps and it turned our my sway bar bushings were wore out, replaced front and rear and klunking was gone. Hope this helps.
Old 04-27-2005, 08:40 AM

Default Re: Check the tie rods--very common failures

From your description I would bet that it is the tie rods. It is common for the outside to go bad but I have also replaced the inner tie rod twice on the drivers side. Simple jack the car up and grab the wheel and turn it left and right while observing the tie rod. I even put my hand on the tie rod to feel the play in the joints.

I attribute my inner tie rod failures to be from lowering the car which makes the inner tie rod lower than the outer which causes water to get into the tie rod steering boot and corrode the inner tie rod ball joint. Tie rods are fairly easy to replace. Hope this helps.

Jeff Bernstein
Old 04-27-2005, 12:09 PM

Default Jeff B.

Do you know which brand of tie rod you have used?
Old 04-27-2005, 12:26 PM

Default Re: Well, I've replaced every component besides the sway bar link and the tierod components. I'm ju

Since it does it while parked - seems you could roll under the car or reach into the wheel well - while someone turns the steering wheel - feel for the klunk. Don't crush your arm...

I havent done my tie rod yet - I don't feel like buying the crowsfoot for $100 to do it.
Old 04-27-2005, 03:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Well folks, I'll have plenty of time to work on my car now! Just accepted a new job and requested

a three week buffer after my two weeks to chill out and purdy up my car and maybe take a vacation!