A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OK, maybe you guys know...why does the alcantara cost $3500 in the S8 and...

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2001, 11:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OK, maybe you guys know...why does the alcantara cost $3500 in the S8 and...

$250 in the S6 or $400 in the S4 (comes with aluminum mirrors and trim)???
It has been suggested that some of the difference may be that the headliner alcantara is standard in the S6, but not in the S8. Even so, $3250 for the headliner for the S8 seems EXTREME!
Do you guys get a "finer" grade of leather or something than the standard S8?
Just curious, but it has been bugging me...don't mean to make it sound like anyone got ripped off, but $3500 sounds pretty damn high for polyester!
Thanks
Old 11-06-2001, 12:02 AM

Default Re: Probably the same reason why........

....in the UK, Audi can get away with charging around £800 (~$1200) for a tow bar!!!! Because the car's a premium model, and people will pay it I guess!!

Andy P.
Old 11-06-2001, 07:32 AM

Default Alcantara

I got that option on my 99 A8 and it cost just around 3500. Problem is the alcantara on the doors, especially the lower part gets dirty sometimes form shoes and what not. Anyone know a good way to clean it withour ruining it? I feel that it is way to over priced and if you get the right combo the material that it comes with as a base option looks pretty good
Old 11-06-2001, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default From what I can see, the alcantara option also includes some extra leather pieces

From observation, I noticed that the glove compartment door and the dashboard have what looks like stitching instead of a smooth surface. So I assume the alcantara package not only include the headliner, but more leather inside the car as well? I may be wrong about the A8, but I know that if you have the Alcantara headliner in the previous and current MB S-class, the package usually include a full leather interior (that means almost everything is wrapped in leather instead of typical leather simulated parts)
Old 11-06-2001, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default All Audis ( if they have leather ) have full leather interiors - no vinyl

seat backs, etc.
Old 11-06-2001, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: All Audis ( if they have leather ) have full leather interiors - no vinyl

Not so in europe. The "full leather" or "extra leather" is an option that includes most parts of the dash and glove compartement as well as the seats and doors.

Actually, in Germany the standard is "Jaquard Satin" seats, which means normal fabric. Even velour is an option at DM 1.400,-

There are also several leather qualities, the normal valcona, the natural leather (which is in my car) and the alcantara synthetic "leather". Or a combination.

If you know some german, take a look at the configurator at http://www.audi.de. You will be suprised what the options are!

BTW. The Alcantara with full leather package is an optional DM 8.500,-, or about USD 4.000,-
Old 11-06-2001, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Seems like AoA may have screwed up (in their favor)...and charged the full...

Euro price for leather/Alcantara as an upgrade from cloth...while here in the U.S. the leather is standard, so there should have only been a $250-$500 upgrade to the polyester, err...Alcantara.
They're making a lot on this polyester...I can't imagine their supplier charges more for this "ultrasuede" than for real leather.
Either way, thanks for the thoughts...sorry you're getting jammed for so much jack for polyester...sweet-*** ride though, however...I'll have to settle for the cheap polyester in the incoming S6 Avant
Old 11-06-2001, 03:06 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

At least you won't slide in the seats :-)
Old 11-06-2001, 03:12 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Europeans are both blessed and cursed in this regard. They may have to pay more

but then they have more choices as well.
Old 11-06-2001, 07:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I was referring to the dashboard and side panels...

Believe it or not, the old S-class (without the full leather interior option) uses a vinyl look-a-like texture material to wrap the dashboard and side panels... it looked terrible in some colors...

My definition of a "full leather interior" - everything in the car covered in leather, that includes side panels, sun visors, dashboard, rear parcel shelf...etc and an alcantara headliner. Had a 94 S500 with this option and a 97 without it. Two completely different interior. The 94 is a lot nicer than the 97. It was standard in some 94-96 S500s (standard across all S600s, 94 to present) and we were told it became an $5000 CAD option in 97...). I guess people should really just say full leather SEATS instead of interior...

The alcantara interior is definitely worth the extra if you can afford it. After all, it's the interior that you see most of the time, not the exterior anyway...

PS I don't think the dashboard in our 01' A8L (without the alcantara option) is leather is it? It looks more like plastic to me...it certainly feels like it.

Quick Reply: OK, maybe you guys know...why does the alcantara cost $3500 in the S8 and...