A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ok picked up the car today from the tranny rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2005, 01:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ok picked up the car today from the tranny rebuild

wow what a difference. NO hunting at all (yet anyway) and shifts are much smother.. on thing I noticed is that the down shifts take a split sec longer, might clear up over time while it adapts. Total cost was $2981 for everything. I am taken it back tomorrow for them to drop the pan again and change the fluid and filter. I dropped the car off tonight and tomorrow they are going to drop the pan change the filter and fluid to wash out anything that was in or maybe in the fluid after the rebuild. IMO That is a good shop to do that and not charge anythig for that service. I also need to recode teh tranny to sport mode when I get it back. I could not of been any happier. Next on the list is a alignment..
Old 07-15-2005, 02:48 PM

Sounds great. And the price is reasonable.
Old 07-15-2005, 03:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Be double sure that they dont accidentally mess up their perfect job by refilling it incorrectly 8(
Old 07-15-2005, 04:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Why do you want to change the fluid and the filter?

There is everything new and clean in your tranny. They cleaned everything with a steam cleaner before assembly, your TC has been rebuilt and the cooler was empty too. There is no old fluid in the system. I wouldn't touch it even if is free.
Old 07-15-2005, 05:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I assume they want to remove the "break in" period particles.

I dont know anything about transmissions, but all engine builders SHOULD do this.
Old 07-15-2005, 05:35 PM

Default yes that is what the shop said. Change filter and fluid for to make sure anything washed

out from the new build will be gone forever. Hey they are the experts at the shop not me on a tranny.. But I was on the same thought process as JKAY with that is done with engine build so why not tranny builds. Makes sense doesn't it?? Tozo and others any thoughts??
Old 07-15-2005, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I don't think it is necessary.

New engine is different, it has a lot of moving parts without bearings. Your tranny is not new. All the hard parts are original except the clutch A housing. All the planetary gears are smooth. Everything has bearings. No break in period required. I've seen hundreds of transmissions at my friend's shop and although a lot of us hate the A8's transmission, the quality of the parts and the finish is far more superior than any of the domestic car's tranny. Domestic trannys break because of the quality. Ours break because of the control system. If a valve in the valve body stuck the tranny slips and the computer puts it into limp mode regardless of engine speed. It should retard the ignition and put into limp mode only when the rpm falls below 1000. All this clutch A housing break happens because of limp mode hits it with full pressure. On older transmissions if the level was too low or the fluid was dirty, the tranny started to misbehave and you were able to check the dipstick, top it of or change the fluid. Today one hiccup and the limp mode kills everything.
Old 07-15-2005, 07:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks for the picture!
Old 07-16-2005, 02:33 AM

ok tozo thanks for the heads up.... I trust your opinion
Old 07-18-2005, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts
Default What ATF fluid are you running?

I think that I will bring my car over to Tozo's guy for a rebuild if yours works out well in the next few weeks.

My business partner in Bethel has the same problem with hunting and TC drop out, maybe he will use your guy.

pw

Quick Reply: ok picked up the car today from the tranny rebuild