A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This is old, but I'm sure some new S8 owners would enjoy this C&D review. :)

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2002, 08:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default This is old, but I'm sure some new S8 owners would enjoy this C&D review. :)

<ul><li><a href="http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caranddriver/roadtests/2001/May/200105_roadtest_audi_s8.xml?keywords=Audi">Car and Driver Roadtest S8 05/01</a></li></ul>
Old 09-05-2002, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Atleast, it's not the A8 feeughh .. that piece of crud!!!

Note, also, C &amp; D, admitted it's never tested
the S55 AMG, or for that matter of fact the S600, which handles the S8 in all aspects, save for
four wheel flying.

--- Car and Driver said it best, and they wonder why it doesn't sell.

"But Audi, so successful with the striking A4 and A6 models, hasn't turned the S8 into much of a looker. Among Benz S-classes and Jaguars, that may be a fatal flaw at this glamorous price. "

For all those who purchased this car, kick yourselves, and then be thankful, you didn't purchase an A8.

By the way, in their shoot out between the A8, 7 Series (old), and S-Class, the A8 finished last, or Third, however, u want to look at it.

No, but seriously, the S8 is not to shabby, I think it's what the A8 should be, and the S8 should be even better!!!
Old 09-05-2002, 01:11 PM

Default Well now, a real fan. Lets see what others say:

"Audi's A8 remains one of the most desirable cars in it's rarified class". With an owner satisfaction rating of 96 (higher than MB or BMW) I think the folks that buy them (many previous MB and BMW drivers) seem satisfied.
Many auto writers will commend the superlative fit/finish and manners of the big Audi but then rate it lower then it's german competitors purely on exterior body design and appearance (they call it "dowdy" or "uninspired" or "boring"). Some of us like an elegance not driven to follow every childish appearance fad. Even if it is visually underappreciated by some many of us do not agree with what's-his-names statement "It is better to look good than to be good". To quote my Bimmer and MB friends comments on my A8L : "Man I never rode in one of these -- I didn't know it was such a great car". I recently drove the new 745 - its interior fit/finish reminded me more of my '95 Chevrolet Impala SS than my Audi. MB, never mind the lower end BMW's, have gone incredibly downstream in fit and finish. Your standard A4 1.8T has better interior fit/finish then the MB S430.
Old 09-05-2002, 01:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is that a toilet flushing? Oh look, a stray piece of corn from last night's dinner.
Old 09-05-2002, 03:30 PM

Default If you are not in fact 12 years old please act like it

I care little about your opinion, dont appreciate your immature blather and I get the sense no one else here does either.

If you think the S600 and S55 are a better deal buy one and leave.
Old 09-05-2002, 06:01 PM

Default I can't believe I'm doing this, but here it goes...

I had to add my 2 cents worth, even though it goes against my belief of having to comment on remarks adolescent in nature:

"BMW/MB owners buy their cars to impress others. Audi owners buy their cars to impress themselves." I have heard this said numerous times in different ways, and I am beginning to believe it.

How can you not be satisfied with a damn fine "driver's" car?

Only the wisest have gone past the mass-produced cars and found these hidden gems!

I'm with you, chris8l.
Old 09-05-2002, 07:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default So, why did u reply, learn to IGGY ... Mr. I don't care, it's ok, I understand your inferiority

complex, I to, would have one, If I drove an A8.
Old 09-05-2002, 07:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

My god, $70,000 for plastic lowers, please can someone throw in a can of paint!!!!
Old 09-05-2002, 07:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default No, correction, A4, A6, tt, allroad drivers buy there cars cause there smart buys, the A8 does not

fit the mold!!! It's stupid buy. I'll save my 2 cents so I can get those damn side skirts painted.
Old 09-05-2002, 07:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default My god simply because it has 4 rings on it, does not automatically make it a good buy!!!

Simply cause it has a 3 pointed star, or a kidney bean logo doesn't make it a good buy either. Damn SLK, who, the hell ...

Quick Reply: This is old, but I'm sure some new S8 owners would enjoy this C&D review. :)