A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The other reason I'm down on Audi....

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 05:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I said the same thing........

after replacing the rotors about 4 times on my 91 200Q, and then having a short that involved tearing out the front seats and dash that cost around $900 I believe.

I said it after spending about $6 or $7k for a new transmission at 52,000 miles on the A8. I even said it after having numerous gremlins related to shorts in the electrical system.

But, here I am looking at suspension issues, yet another CV boot that needs replaced, another issue with the electrical system that they now tell me requires a new wiring harness, the fact that I am losing steering fluid and hearing noises that makes my sphincter tighten as I wonder when the steering rack is going to go, the realization I have 60K miles on my replacement transmission and live in constant fear it is going to join the original transmission in Valhalla.

Of course, the car probably only has a street value of what, $5K to $7K, and if I fix what needs fixing, including the constant dripping fluids, I probably have a couple of grand of work to do.

I swear, I believe my 91 200Q was more reliable, and with the 5 speed, more fun to drive.

Geez, I sound like a chick that's been jilted one too many times, eh?
Old 12-30-2005, 05:31 PM

Default Oh yeah, I forgot

My CD just went dead and has no power. Can't even remove the magazine.

I think its time for a little Vodka therapy.
Old 12-30-2005, 05:54 PM

Default my take: Audi/VW dealership schizophrenia

I think much of the problem comes down to the fact that many if not most Audi dealers also carry VW. So they can't have a purely-upscale mindset since they are serving two different populations. They care more about selling an VW *or* an Audi than selling an Audi, so they are less brand loyal to Audi than they would otherwise be. Also, their service departments must be set up to handle both VW and Audi customers, so their cost structure has to be geared more towards VW, which is probably more of their sales volume anyway.

And that's only on the dealer side. On the corporate side, it's hard to tease apart VW and Audi to begin with. For instance, the loan on my A8 is from VW Credit not Audi -- huh?? The folks back in Wolfsburg have to structure their operations, again, to be cost-effective with the larger-scale VW business (since the dealerships are shared), and Audi owners get shortchanged in the process.

"But that doesn't happen with Toyota and Lexus!" you respond. Indeed, Lexus owners get the white-glove treatment. But also notice that Toyota dealers don't sell Lexi and vice versa. They are kept, to my knowledge, in completely separate showrooms and operate segregated service shops. Sure, the Avalon platform is the GS platform and lots of parts are shared at the factory, but the *processes* are not shared at the customer level.

If Audi/VW dealers were asked to choose one or the other brand, I suspect the problem would resolve itself over 5-10 years. Given the structure of distribution and incentives, I think that's extremely unlikely to happen.
Old 12-30-2005, 06:11 PM

Default Re: my take: Audi/VW dealership schizophrenia

The dealer in Indianapolis sells only Porsche, Audi and Volvo out of that specific dealership. All are high end Euro brands, and none of them can touch Lexus or Infiniti as far as customer satisfaction.

I really wanna love Audi, I really do. I'm like the guy who just found out his beautiful girlfriend is bonking his buddy..... I really wanna love her, but I can't trust her.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Great car, crappy Dealers and service. Sums it up nicely.

Here, here. I genuinely feel badly for 8 owners who do not have access to good indy shops. The Stealer has yet to turn a wrench on my car in the 2+ years since I've owned it. Were it not for Pro-Imports and all the fine advice of PaulW and others on this board, I would have sold my car long ago.
Old 12-31-2005, 12:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Having a Jap car..

Would be boring? You must be kidding. The GS300/SC300 can be EASILY modded to more than many can handle (800WHP+) and a ton of aftermarket mods from suspension, to brakes and beyond. Try that with an A8. Not finding upgrades/mods gets boring.

I love my A8, but not because it is "sporty" or easy/fun to mod.
Old 12-31-2005, 05:19 AM
Elder Member

Default Shucks, we can't even find someone to make a heavier rear sway bar.

The brakes on Paul's A8 and my S8 were prototypes, and I believe they're both still one-of-a-kind.

I am satisfied with the motor ... a good thing since HP gains from chips and exhaust aren't impressive. AFAIK, JeffB' modified NA motor and Luiz's forced induction motor are also both one-of-a-kind.
Old 01-01-2006, 12:09 PM

Default Understand your pain. but...

...not all audi dealers are like this. I have had outstanding service in Des Moines (Jordan) and Minneapolis (Carousel). you have to find the right people in their dealerships who understands our passion for the 8's.

Likewise, i have a good friend who's not to keen on his Lexus service.

Lemons (including people???) with every brand? Maybe...

sorry to hear about your bad experience.

Steve
'01 S8
Old 01-01-2006, 02:21 PM

Default Re: Understand your pain. but...

I agree, lemons with every brand, but based on feedback here, I am not alone. And I agree, the Indy dealer is panned by many, but I am sure not all.

By the way, Ive had good service from the Audi dealer in Ft Wayne. They put their senior guy on A8 issues and at least one of their service writers, Kurt, is a good guy.