A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paging Paul W....on-demand tiptronic

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hmm...!

Ok, but as you say... it might not be worth it...

Thanks...!

Back to solving my non showing PRNDS then...
Old 04-08-2020, 05:02 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have a 2002 S8 and the tiptronic stick has PRNDS modes only. The car came with the lame multi-function steering wheel which I dediced to replace with the proper 3 spoke sports steering wheel when driving home after buying the car.

Well that was not too easy. Of course it wasn't plug and play and I had to swap the clock spring too. I made the cables accoring to this guide: audipages Retrofitting a Tiptronic Steering Wheel
I did not connect the pin4 from clock spring which illuminates the tip buttons.

But I have three problems:
- only LEFT + works
- only RIGHT - works
- The buttons work only when the tiptronic stick is in tiptronic mode.

So I'm missing LEFT - and RIGHT + tip button function. Of course the buttons might be faulty or wheel cables broken since I bought an used wheel. This is really weird. Also with the MFSW the steering wheel + & - buttons worked instantly in D and S modes too. No need to touch the tiptronic stick at all.

Do I have to connect the pin4 illumination cable too to get all 4 buttons working? Any way to get the on-demand feature to work with three spoke sports wheel?
Old 04-08-2020, 05:12 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

One thing came into my mind.. maybe it would be possible to put back the MFSW clock spring and move the buttons from MFSW to a 3spoke wheel? Or if the MSFW buttons don't fit a 3spoke wheel, maybe just change the cables leading to buttons?
Old 04-08-2020, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I can't find a way to edit my posts.

Seems I have broken my MFSW slip ring. One of the tabs which engage the steering wheel have broken off thus I need to find a new one. MFSW has some kind of control unit built in where all the cables from extra buttons, tip buttons, airbag, wheel heating go. And from there 2 cables go to the slip ring.

Both tip buttons have 4 pin connectors going to the steering wheel control unit. I'd assume they were the same shift up, shift down, ground, illumination, but in what oder... colors are
1 white
2 green
3 yellow
4 red

I have to look if there is room for the control unit inside the 3spoke wheel.. and what kind of cables go to 3spoke wheel's buttons.
Old 04-08-2020, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

There is one thing which prevents even considering using the MFSW control unit with 3 spoke wheel.. horn. Seems the horn button is in the airbag part and data from horn comes via the MFSW can bus? At least I don't understand how else the horn would work in that wheel.