A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

POLL: How many let their significant other (or kids) drive your Audi's?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default POLL: How many let their significant other (or kids) drive your Audi's?

In light of "ricoblanco" mishap with the Miss's backup troubles...I was wondering if I was the only one that insists that the wife, daughter or heck anyone else for that matter not even dream of getting behind the wheel of their Audi's (under any circumstances)? In fact, I have been known to rent cars for the wife to drive when her car was in the shop just so would not have to drive my Audi.

Am I taking this too far???

I am positive she would scrap the underbelly of the S8 pulling out of our driveway or pull too far in on the parking space at the market.

This rule has not come with out it's costs...as I was forced to buy the wife a nice "mommy-mobile" which set me back some nice coin and the daughter who just turned 16...well had to get her a ride too.

The insurance on our cars is high enough without adding in this increase risk for claims.

So I want to poll the forum to see how many of you are as protective of your babies as I am of mine.

G. Hart
Old 02-16-2008, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Anybody can drive my car.

She is not into stick shift, so she drives the other A8. Both of my A8 are 11 years old, they've seen a lot of road already.
Old 02-16-2008, 02:11 PM
Lane Shark

Default I've let my 7yr daughter drive the V8 by herself. You should use the $$ you spend on rentals for

driver training for the wife. Better investment in the long run.

I've been teaching my daughter to drive since she was 5yrs old. Here's a vid of her driving 1 of my CGT's by herself.<ul><li><a href="http://www.billzcat1.com/GTG/Hailee.mov">right click &amp; save</a></li></ul>
Old 02-16-2008, 03:14 PM

My fiance hates my car. Only my brother in law and a close friend drives it. I pay 600 a year too.
Old 02-16-2008, 04:39 PM

Default When I go anywhere, I park strategically (far away from everybody)...

I want to keep my paint mine. I've seen a shopping cart get caught by the wind, roll around 10ft. and hit a brand new 7 series BMW right on the door. The guy driving it was not the owner.

I've let people drive my car before. They just have not proven to be as careful about small things like parking, I don't expect them to park 3 miles away from everybody like I do. Some people are not as aware about my car as I am.

My friend's car was in the shop, she borrowed mine since I was in town and not working that day. She managed to give road rash to my NEW rims on the toll both. She was not even aware of the fact.

My son's been driving my cars since he was 12 with me in it, he's 14 now.

I guess when I started riding a motorcycle 100,000+ miles ago it changed my perspective on cars. They've also made me a better more aware driver as well.
Old 02-16-2008, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default My 17yo son does NOT drive my S8....

...my girlfriend gets to when we go out and I choose to enjoy the libations...
Old 02-16-2008, 06:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

I've let my dad borrow it, no one else.
Old 02-16-2008, 08:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default The one time I let my wife drive the A8, she removed the front bumper.......

on a parking block. She's never driven the S8, and fortunately the kids are still too young to drive. I wouldn't let a 16-20 year old child of mine drive a 360 HP car anyway (see story about M5 and 5 teenagers....)
Old 02-17-2008, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Village Ho here - like a doorknob... everyone gets a turn. It's a car.

I DO yes verymuch give new users the full litany of BE THE F CAREFUL of the nose / tail when parking, and the you blow it up / wad it - you fix it speech, but otherwise, go nuts with the thing. You guys are funny.

Me, I like to share the awesomeness I get to experience daily with others, and enjoy their reactions and enlightening the masses.

I encourage it, really. Shoot, for the most part - I'm even being fairly liberal with the 930, long as I feel the candidate has what it takes for the thing.

And, as has proven out - what comes around goes around. I chuck my keys out - keys are constantly chucked to me. I'd argue I've been on the much loooooonger end of 'that' stick over the past years heh heh - suckers 8-).

But hey yeah I know I'm weird.
Old 02-17-2008, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Not too many...

The little woman has driven it once, but doesn't care for it because of its size. Aside from the good folks at Pro Imports, mpollan has driven it farther than anyone. I have one other friend that I'd let drive it, only because he's a serious car guy and a much better driver than I. Otherwise, I just take people for spins.

Quick Reply: POLL: How many let their significant other (or kids) drive your Audi's?