A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems with S8/A8's ????

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2001, 04:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with S8/A8's ????

Looking at used '99 (facelifted) model S8/A8's, and surprised that they have had so much warranty work. The official history on these cars shows up no end of electrical based problems. One such car, a March '99 4.2 Quattro Sport (UK spec) has had the following warranty work;-

Radio/computer/screen (2 occasions)
Sound proofing (?) (1 occasion)
Brakes - ABS (4 occasions)
Cabin - Air conditioner (2 occasions)
Wash/wiper system (2 occasions)
Wiring (1 occasion)
Steering (1 occasion)
Track rod ends (recall - 1 occasion)

I have also looked at an Aug '99 S8, it too had about 4-5 repeat warranty jobs connected with the "Radio/computer/screen".

Did these early facelifted models typically suffer particularly badly with these kind of problems?

Andy P.
Old 08-01-2001, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In N.A, there are very few problems. Folks ?
Old 08-01-2001, 10:06 AM

Default Re: In N.A, there are very few problems. Folks ?

Actually in about 3 months, I've had the following problems with my S8:

1,2) Rattle in driver side door - fixed, noise came back again, fixed again

3) Check engine light on intermittently - traced to a manufacturing defect (pinched tube) - fixed

4) License Plate holder missing 2 screws, with remaining screws warped. Car had to go into the shop for 1 full day, for the dealer to remove the trunk trim to insert the screws

5) Trunk decklid sensor faulty, had to slam the trunk really hard to shut off "trunk open light" warning (fixed)

6) Brakes squealed repeatedly,even when brakes were not applied - Rotors resurfaced and noise went away

7) Xenon lowbeams aimed too low. Had to be adjusted after dealer obtained permission from AoA

8) Navigation systems **** came loose - replaced

Hard to imagine these defects in a car that cost more than $75K
Old 08-01-2001, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Wow, I take that back then.
Old 08-01-2001, 10:50 AM

Same thing with me. I bought an S8 a couple of months and it is amazing to see the kind of problems on a car which is coming at the end of its lifespan. The first S8 came out a few years ago in Europe and just came this year in the US. My car went 3 times to the shop for squeaky brakes; after changing rotors and everything it seems fixed; I just drove the car 200 miles. The most obnoxious thing are the rattles in the dashboard, doors and sunroof. I mean a 20k car rattles less; when we say beauty is only skin deep; this is the case for this 80k car; never had a rattle on my benz, bmw or vw passat?? Only Audis rattle (this is my fouth one)I will bring it to the dealership on the 10th of this month and I doubt that they will fix the problem, as this is the worst type of work they have to do on a car. I just believe that if it is not intentional from Audi to cheapen out on the details that you dont see and that rattle are abnormal in these day even on econo cars, some people engineers or on the assembly lines needs to get fired.
Dr Piëch get your act together. The owners of S8 in NA are pissed of at you. You built the best driving luxury sedan that falls apart, squeaks and rattles like a cheap jeep from the 80's
Old 08-01-2001, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Hey Billy boy. How about that Porsche 959 you can't drive on public roads ?
Old 08-01-2001, 03:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default My experience is all the Germans are pretty much the same

Unfortunately I not so sure that your experience is common to Audi among the German marques. Both my experience with having a 318is and a M3 for 4 years each and my father in-laws experience with his S-class were not much better. Mechanically the M3 was pretty good except valve timing tensioner spring but I had at least a dozen problems with small trim pieces and rattles. My father in law got rid of his S-class to go back to Lexus after two years because it was going back in every 3 months for things like windows failing open (not good when parking at the airport in LA), air-conditioning control going AFU, seat controls failing..... However it did not rattle that much.
He is now back on his 3rd Lexus and is quite happy because it is bullet proof. My brother in law is still driving his old 93 SC400 with 90K miles and while the beige interior shows some wear is still pretty tight otherwise.
Having had a 93 V8, 94 S4 and currently driving a 95.5 S6 Avant and a 99 A8 I would say overall that they held up quite well as far as major systems. Both the interior and exterior have held up as well as any of the older Mercedes or BMW I been in. The first two (particularily the V8)had a number of little things fail but they were 5-7 year old cars at that point. The S6 and A8 have only had a few trim issues.
All the cars we are talking about have gotten quite complex over the years and it seems to me the Germans design and performance is excellent, but the reliability has not kept up with the best of the Japanese makes.
Bottom line though I would be disapointed also if I had so many little problems with a $75K car.......hope things smooth out but if you value reliability above all buy Lexus......
Me, I be looking for a excellent value on a used S8 in few years.....

Paul
San Diego/Salt Lake
Old 08-02-2001, 11:56 AM

Default Yeah... Relatively speaking - NONE!

Small stuff and the dealers are great about dealing with it fast...
Old 08-02-2001, 08:37 PM

I've had an '01 A8L for a year. No major problems, but following small problems:

1. Check engine light on intermitantly - it looks like RamanS8 had the same prob.
2.Door handle on rear passenger door on drivers side stopped working. Door can't be opened from inside.
3. Passenger side mirror stopped automatically moving to show curb while parking.
4. Squeaky windows.
5. Paint on rear bumper seems to chip VERY easily.
Old 08-05-2001, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hello,

I'm just wondering about your problem 2 and 3, are they complete failure that were fixed by the dealer or have you not addressed the problems yet?

For the check engine light to come on intermitantly, my dealer tells me that if it comes on after you put gas into the car or the tank was completely empty before refill, there maybe air inside the system and will cause the check engine light to come on. If it stays on for a long time, then there maybe a problem in the emission components of the car. From what I've heard, if you live in Canada, NEVER use Petro Canada, their additives will casue the car's check engine light to come on. The best gas to use is Sunoco. (if the light flashes, that means something REALLY bad happened)

As for chipping, I find our front bumper chips really easily as well...

Quick Reply: Problems with S8/A8's ????