A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question Re: Body damage repairs

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2001, 11:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question Re: Body damage repairs

I'm looking at buying a used A8. Remember reading once that only 5 places in the country or something like that can repair these vehicles if you're in a wreck. I've searched all the archives and could only find one reference to a member here getting body damage repaired, but said nothing about it other than "took a while". Has anyone had to get body work done? How much of a hassle would it be? BTW, I'm in North Dakota--miles from civilization, but there is an Audi dealer in Fargo.

Any comments?
Old 05-11-2001, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default There is an infrastructure for dealing with this. There are 5 or 6 for massive repairs and

a host of others all over the country to repair more minor damage. Your dealer has a full outline from Audi, as to where and how this happens. A8s are low risk for accidents. Repair is a little more expensive. The outer skin is heat hardened to make it more dent resistant than steel. In all, 7 different types of aircraft quality aluminum are used to make the car.
Old 05-11-2001, 04:22 PM

Default Re: There is an infrastructure for dealing with this. There are 5 or 6 for massive repairs and

I called Audi USA...customer support line to ask about that very thing. They told me that if your local Audi dealer deems it necessary to send it to one of the shops in Egypt...ok...a bit of a stretch...but if the closest one is a ways away...as in my case 600 miles, Audi will pay for the transport to the shop that can do the work weather its in warranty or not!
Old 05-14-2001, 01:21 PM

Default Re: Question Re: Body damage repairs

My '98 A8 4.2 was rear-ended. Audi, when I purchased my car, had an incentive plan for those who would purchase an aluminum car.

For mine, if the repair requires a trip to one of the 5 major service centers, Audi pays for the shipping to & from. Audi also provides, free-of-charge even if the accident is my fault, a loaner A8 or equal.

When my A8 was rear ended, the car was shipped to Pennsylvania. I was given a new (rental) Cadillac to drive, and I did not pay a dime. The dealership was a little sketchy on the program as there is so little experience with wrecked A8's. However AudiUSA assigned a mediator/advisor and a case number. They even handled all of the coordination/details.

It is impossible to tell the car was ever injured. It looks exactly as it did the day it came home with me. No overspray, no mis-blending of the paint. No ill-fitted pieces.

I could not have been more impressed. Of course it took almost 6 weeks for the repairs (and they were pretty minor in my eye).

Sorry for the long ramble, but I thought this would help. As I understand it, the plan covers subsequent owners.