A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

radio wiring help

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2020, 10:53 AM
Banned

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default radio wiring help

I'm trying to figure out why CD player on my stock radio isn't working and also why the CD changer isn't working either. When I try and insert a CD into the radio, nothing happens and when I push on CD changer button on the radio and nothing. I got around to removing the radio to see if the wiring for the CD was unplugged from the back of the radio. Once I got the radio pulled out far enough to see the rear of the radio unit and I see that everything was plugged in. Then I unplugged everything from the back of the radio so I could remove the radio and noticed that there is a few things that caught my eye.

I'm guessing this 12v socket isn't stock?

I'm guessing that this is a aftermarket harness?

Are these three color wiring harness plug connectors stock? and look like they are plugged into a aftermarket harness?

It looks like these two aftermarket wires are connected to the factory ground?

These two black/white wires that are looped upwards in the background aren't stock?

Are these three (black, brown and red) connectors stock?

Last edited by d2noob; 02-03-2020 at 10:57 AM.
Old 02-03-2020, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Did either the CD changer or single CD player ever work? Often the CD changer input is sacrificed for third party add-ons like a bluetooth option. Perhaps the prior owner removed the added electronics but didn't revert the wiring back to stock?

Last edited by BrianC72gt; 02-04-2020 at 03:52 PM.
Old 02-03-2020, 04:21 PM
Banned

Neither has worked since I've owned the car.
Old 02-09-2020, 09:29 AM
Banned

I ended up buying a used radio wiring harness

and it doesn't have the brown connector like in this pic I posted before

Old 03-02-2020, 04:34 PM
Banned

I finally got around to removing this radio wiring harness and I'm guessing this is aftermarket.

I'm guessing this wiring harness is causing my CD player in the stock head unit not work at all and also probably affecting the CD changer to no work either.
Towards the top of this picture for the left wiring harness that little black connector wasn't hooked up to anything.
Old 03-08-2020, 02:05 PM
Banned

Upon further inspection, I noticed that I have a couple of wires that were modified and one wire that was taken out of a connector. I'm guessing that the two wire plugs aren't stock (the two that I'm referring to are sticking up in this pic below)?

Old 03-12-2020, 12:12 PM
Banned

Ok there is no turning back now as I've cut the radio connectors to try and fix this wiring mess that my car has. I've noticed a couple of things and took a couple of pictures.

In this picture of part of the wiring harness where I cut the connector end off and cut back the rubber sheath and found there is two wires that have bare copper sheath over the wire. How do I splice this to the replacement radio harness connectors that I bought?

In this picture of this wiring harness, the white wire that I have sticking up and away from the rest of the wires isn't a wire at all? I went to strip these wires to get ready to splice them together with the replacement harness connectors that I bought and found this one wire to be just a plastic blank wire as there isn't any copper wire core inside. So I find this very odd?
Old 03-13-2020, 06:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Here are the 8 pages from the wiring diagram for the radio. 2001 4.2 liter AUX engine code. Maybe they can help.
Attached Files
Old 03-14-2020, 12:42 PM
Banned

Thanks. I'm having troubles trying to decipher what's what with these diagrams. Anyone able to help out?
Old 03-14-2020, 01:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

They take a little getting used to at first, jumping around to various pages as lines come in and leave a given page. I print them out and mark up with a pencil where the lines on a page of interest come from and go. There are videos on youtube by Ross-Tech, as well as a tutorial by them https://forums.ross-tech.com/showthr...iring-diagrams

Quick Reply: radio wiring help