A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Re: ATF level check (longish):-)

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2004, 08:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: ATF level check (longish):-)

If I just want to check the fluid level in my 97A8, is the proper procedure to put it up on jack stands, let the car idle for 15 minutes and then loosen the filler plug--if fluid runs out I'm good--if not, add fluid? The reason I want to check is on cold mornings, when driving for the first couple of minutes, I hear a sound when accelerating that sounds like a pump. It comes on for 2-3 seconds then goes away, then comes on again. Once the car is warmed up, it goes away. Had the transmission serviced last summer TWICE. The first time the independant did it I think he didn't tighten the two hard to get to screws and I had a leak, but the leaking fluid was RED!!! I thought I was going to have a stroke. Called up immediately very concerned, and they had me come in the next day. There explanation was that they put the Audi trans fluid in a big jug with a pump that previously had Amsoil trans fluid. They said that what little Amsoil was in there dyed the yellow Audi fluid. I was skeptical, but they are a reputable shop. They did the whole procedure all over again. The car drove fine until this sound I started hearing in the winter. The sound has no affect on the performance. The shop only charged me $180 for the tranny service. Any comments?
Thanks!
Doug G.
97A8107K
Old 04-14-2004, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Sounds like a pump? You mean a pump cavitating? Can you be more specific?
Old 04-14-2004, 05:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Sounds like a pump? You mean a pump cavitating? Can you be more specific?

Paul,
Yes it sounds like a pump is trying to draw fluid from one place to another, but the fluid is not there. It has a mechanical sound when accelerating. There is no whinning sound upon start up. when the car is driven for a minute, the sound is gone. After the transmission service last summer that I described in the original post, I didn't get anymore of the hunting for the right gear, or the clunking when coasting. I also had the tranny recoded to 000011 which has helped tremendously. Right now, the transmission works great, but I just didn't want to be doing any damage by letting this sound go if it is in fact coming from the tranny. Sorry if I can't be more descriptive or more specific.
Thanks
Doug
Old 04-14-2004, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Re: Sounds like a pump? You mean a pump cavitating? Can you be more specific?

If it sounds like rocks rolling around in a metallic tumbler....it's the hydraulic pump cavitating.

If that is the case, there is something not correct with the transmissin filter, it's causing too much pressure drop or it's leaking by at the connection point....

Normally this would be from a clogged filter...but you say you had it replaced twice....so I would say that's not it.

Really don't know what it is....
Old 04-14-2004, 07:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default How about a sound file? Have any digital recorderd ( such as mini DV cam, or MPG digi camera?)

In my other car life I use digital sound files recorded by other owners to help diagnose problems. Even if it does not help instantly, once the problem is found, this sound can now be linked to a specific problem. Great for future problems/trouble shooting.

Since the A8 has known tranny problems, if we could say, "these noises are ok", "these noises mean this", or "if you car sounds like this, park it until it is repaired". The Audi A8 world might be a better place.

Just an idea. With such a great Audi A8 site such as PaulW's, it would seem like a great addition to the technical section IMO.

Some have used mic in to a mini DV camcorder, some have used a simple digi cam that records video. Even if it was using a small personal recorder, it could be fed into a PC and converted to a internet friendly sound file.

Describing what problems sound like by mouth is very hard. Typing what a sound, sounds like is harder.

Just some ideas, hope all is well backdoc.