A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RE: Discussion on the D3 and the problems associated with a launch car.

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2004, 10:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Discussion on the D3 and the problems associated with a launch car.

I agree with those stating that launch cars are expected to have a certain # of gliches, and a purchaser needs to be tolerant. However, a news item on AudiWorld 17 Dec 03 "making of.." (link on right) states that 17,000 D3 A8s have been produced from 10/02 introduction through 11/03!!! Should they get it right after 17,000 units. Is the USA version that much different, such that it should have this "launch grace period"???
Old 01-16-2004, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Launch cars are not EXPECTED to have glitches.

It just so happens that a number of them do! I am not sure what you are asking in the rest of your post.
Old 01-16-2004, 12:01 PM

He's asking how many you have to build before you "get it right"?
Old 01-16-2004, 06:51 PM

Default RE: Discussion on the D3 and the problems associated with a launch car.

I have no glitches in mine (KNOCK ON WOOD!). It may have been inconsistent parts and assembly causing these bad cases. I am pretty certain that the majority have no problems with their A8. I may be wrong, but my unit number is closer to 10,000 and it works flawlessly. My concern is the cars durability past the 40K mile mark as I intend on keeping this wonderful car. Bottom line, when the repair bills start stacking up and with all of the lost time sending the car in for repair, a new car is more economical instead of putting up with a 50K mile A8L, if it starts to fail in many different areas. Sorry to hear of all the issues present, but I just simply have not experienced any of them. Maybe I am not looking hard enough. For example, how do you know if your self levelling is not working? My car is solid, does not make popping noises in the rear when going over bumps as reported, does not have MMI glitches, All interior systems work as they should including A/C and but coolers, heated steering wheel, auto tilt steering wheel, sunshades, It all just seems to work for me (knock on wood again!)

I hope that you all with issues get good response and a quick one from the dealer. 70K+ for a car, it better be perfect, I agree! I purchased mine at Keyes in Van Nuys, not one regret with the purchase, and I came from an M5 '03. For the high end, I prefer Audi over the others. Function and aesthetics are equally important to me and I think that Audi hit the nail on the head with the A8L, now, cannot wait for the new S8 or the A8 L 6.0 AT6 with the cooler box and writing desk in the back along with butt massagers, and all of the other options, I want them All!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-17-2004, 10:14 AM

Default I was referring to "conventional wisdom" that there are simply potential

risks of having some "glitches" with first model year cars, or launch cars. The comments on this forum seemed to address this same point with regards to the USA launch cars. It was news to me that the actual launch had occured some time ago and that 17,000 cars had been produced. I'm not knocking Audi. I love them, having driven nothing else since 1985! I also have the sense that if you add up all the new A8Ls that people are complaining about, it would be a very small percentage of total cars, and likely in line with Audi's peer group. Any perspective on this percentage?