A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RE: Few S8 Questions....

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 11:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Few S8 Questions....

1. How dificult would be to import D2 S8 into Canada?....where I could find the "info" on how to do it (website?)...has anyone done this? and what would the costs be (may be moving to Vancouver in the next few months) besides the duties?
2. What would be a reasonable price for this car listed on e-bay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Navigation-Parking-Sensor-OnStar-Rare-performance-Car_W0QQitemZ230236575202QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item2 30236575202
$20K seems high given the miles...
With that kind of mileadge what are the most likely components that will need addressing? in the "near future" provided the car has been properly maintained so far....other than the regular maintenance stuff...I would plan to keep the car for a while and actually try not be "cheap" when it comes to maintenance.
3. As you can probably guess I'm looking for a good example (clear title, no paint work, etc.) of a 2003 D2 (preferably) S8 with black/silver/dark blue exterior and dark (black/blue/red) interior...all "other" options are not that important...so if anyone knows/has one for sale....let me know. One more thing...want a car from west coast only...i.e. California, Nevada, Arizona, Oregon, Washington....Recently I drove a number of newer audis (A3/A4/A6's and the D3 A8) and I'm not that impressed....like my friend said...if not now then when? (not a mid-life crisis but...).
Thank you in advance for any advice....
Old 03-30-2008, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Coupla thoughts for you:

I think that is a fine asking price for an '03 with those miles and in what appears to be in exceptional condition.

There don't appear to be any overt scuffs nor dings,all the grilles are there, badges where they're supposed to be, no lower door trim puckering, etc.

One wheel (that I could see) has a slight scuff, the driver's seat has the tell-tale "I kneeled right in the middle with all my weight to reach in vacuum it" dent, slight elbow dent in driver armrest, rear seats not tatooed with kid seat scars, driver side / lower bolsters look strong. Newer SportMaxx's.

One thing I would ask about is the alignment of the left corner of the decklid - it's a cHair too high, could just be an adjustment.

Overall it "looks" to be one of the nicer ones, course near all cars "look nice" in online pics 8-).

The price is a starting point, negotiate down from there but considering the year / apparent condition it's not entirely out of whack IMO. Considering you want an '03 and a darker interior you're limited to the 100 Avus/burg. cars like that (the Ming/Black have silver/camel guts). Of the 100 Avus, many have been turds or priced way higher.

Ask for records, as at those miles things have been done or certainly will need to be. Water pump / Tstat failures were common ~ 50k, Tbelt is due @ 105k or earlier, control arms go all the time. Beyond that not much else fails. Negotiate with this data or lack thereof. Seller's motivation will dictate your success 8-).

Sorry I'm of no help on the exportation issue.

HTH, good luck to you. I really dig the Avus with the tinting BTW...
Old 03-30-2008, 09:30 AM

Default Your strategy's a good one.

I'm in the Toronto area. My next A8 will definitely be from the U. S. Prices are much higher in Canada - minimum $10,000, sometimes higher still. Plus, there's not much to pick from - especially if you want an S8.

You'll pay 6.1% duty, plus a few other charges which are minimal. Other than that, it's just a hassle, but it's all do-able. More and more Canadians are doing it all the time, especially with the recent rise in the $Cdn. vs. the $U. S.

There are actually some import - export companies who will do it for you. I don't know what they charge. Plus, many U. S. dealers now advertise they'll do it, too.

Here are a couple of links. The first is a generic list of everything you need to do. The second is an actual account from a guy on a Cdn. BMW forum of how he did it all. It's really good - gives you some tips and things to know ahead of time so you won't be delayed at the border.

Good luck!

http://www.riv.ca/ENGLISH/HTML/HOW_TO_IMPORT.HTML

http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50332
Old 03-30-2008, 09:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default other suggestions

The car looks nice. I would definitely get a PPI. If you go to the dealer, they should be able to tell you about any warranty work. Also, if possible, have the dealer use the diagnostic tool(i.e.VAG-COM) to check out all the systems on the car and request a print out. From others' posts and my own experience, I would specifically check for O2 sensors, catalytic convertors, brakes, upper front suspension arms, tires, timing belt, spare tire, and tool kit. If you have to replace any one of these, the dealer cost is $500 to $1000 each(approx.). Audipages.com has a great checklist for buying a used S8/A8. Good luck.
Bob
Old 03-30-2008, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default My brother bought a couple of Lexus recently and imported them to Canada.

It was easy, just pay the duty and province tax. The only thing you need to change is you need to install DRL.
Old 03-30-2008, 01:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Just imported a 2003 s8

from Seattle to Maple Ridge (1 hour outside Vancouver). There are hoops to jump through but here is a good place to start http://www.riv.ca/ . You will have to pay duty(6%) gst pst, convert to daytime running lights,pay an importation fee ($200) and have a federal and provincial inspection done. You will also need a recall certification letter from audi, title, bill of sale,and arrange with the U.S. customs official 72 hours in advance of crossing the border.
It is not cheap however,all the Canadian S8s I saw were overpriced and very high mileage.
Prepare to pay more for a westcoast car, the smoking deals, you see on the right coast dont show up here often.

Take your time, be patient, and get a carfax, there are alot of turds out there.
Old 03-30-2008, 01:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Just imported a 2003 s8

Here is a link to a local Vancouver S8 that sounded like a good deal but I have tried to contact the owner few times without any luck....it's either sold or the guys is out of the country: http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/car/583301183.html
Old 03-30-2008, 02:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default vancouver 2002 s8

Thats a great price for the miles and local too.I didnt see it during my search,but I had my heart set on the 2003 black/amaretto colour combo.
If the car is still available it is well worth looking at,especially with no extra tax.
Old 03-31-2008, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

bahahaa heh yeah I know - don't even get me going on that again. Whoa Magic Bus!