A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear windscreen blind.Year 2000 A8 D2

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 11:58 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear windscreen blind.Year 2000 A8 D2

Anybody know how to adjust the blind as it goes down too far and jams. When also trying to raise the blind it does not fully open.
appreciate any advice to rectify this.
Old 10-10-2013, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll let you know after I dig into mine. The arms unfold but nothing else happens, so when I pull it all apart and see what is going on & figure it out, I'll give an update. Hopefully in the next two weeks I'll get to this...

Raz
Old 10-11-2013, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for reply Raz,
I think the access to the motor for the blind is incorporated in the speaker assembly, under the rear window shelf. I am sure that it just needs an adjustment to the motor drive - or something!!!!??? How to is another story so would appreciate your comments as to possible solution - if you solve it.

Regards

Tony Barbz
Old 10-20-2013, 07:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Tony Barbz
Anybody know how to adjust the blind as it goes down too far and jams. When also trying to raise the blind it does not fully open.
appreciate any advice to rectify this.
Tony, the arms attache to the assembly like windshield wipers; they fit on a shaft and then a nut secures them. Pry off the top cover with your hand (it's easy once you get it started) and then the mechanism is easy to see.

Just be careful with the unit as the sliders that mount the screen to the arms are plastic - both of mine are broken. I found a guy on Ebay who is selling aluminum replacements for $50 - a little high for such a small part but machining anything in small quantities is expensive so worth it to me to fix such an expensive unit (call the stealer and ask how much it is).

You should be able to get those nuts loose and reposition the arms so that it functions correctly. You shouldn't have to remove the whole thing from the rear deck.

Raz
Old 10-21-2013, 12:34 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks Raz, I will have go and let you know the outcome. By the way, have a look at info sent me by Silverds8 regarding Bentley repair manual sourcing.
for 79 USD it sounds well worth it. He is also a clued up guy about this model of Audi.

Tony
Old 10-21-2013, 03:14 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Raz,
Just had another look at the rear blind. The rollers are fine but it looks like the arms need to be adjusted from under the hat shelf. The blind is going down too far and jamming in the opening when in the closed position.
Did you take out the shelf to access the mechanism - I think that is what you were indicating?
Tony
Old 10-22-2013, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Tony Barbz
Raz,
Just had another look at the rear blind. The rollers are fine but it looks like the arms need to be adjusted from under the hat shelf. The blind is going down too far and jamming in the opening when in the closed position.
Did you take out the shelf to access the mechanism - I think that is what you were indicating?
Tony
No need to remove the unit, just pry up the cover with your hands - it will pop up, there are 5 (I think?) push-in things that clip it to the top of the assembly, it's easy to do with just your hands. Then the entire mechanism is visible from above.
Old 12-01-2013, 10:54 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Razman
No need to remove the unit, just pry up the cover with your hands - it will pop up, there are 5 (I think?) push-in things that clip it to the top of the assembly, it's easy to do with just your hands. Then the entire mechanism is visible from above.
Can I join in this discussion as I couldn't find a way to start a new topic on my iPad!
My blind on my 2004 A8. The ends have come of and the bar is not on the arms at present. It's really hard to get at because of the headrests which don't seem to want to come out. Also someone just mentioned an aluminum replacement block. More details?
Old 12-02-2013, 06:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by cymbid64
Can I join in this discussion as I couldn't find a way to start a new topic on my iPad!
My blind on my 2004 A8. The ends have come of and the bar is not on the arms at present. It's really hard to get at because of the headrests which don't seem to want to come out. Also someone just mentioned an aluminum replacement block. More details?
No problem. I am assuming that the mechanism is close to being identical on your D3 as my D2. At the end of each arm are these guys here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/331058425002...84.m1423.l2661

The ones on eBay are metal; the OEM ones are plastic and break (like on mine). It should be pretty easy to thread yours back onto the bar, provided they are still intact - just have to secure the ends (I think mine secure with little screws) after you get it back together.

I'm not familiar with the size of the headrests on the D3 or how much room is back there; it's pretty easy to get to mine. You'll need to extend the arms and then pull out the shade to thread it back on. On mine, to replace the plastic things that broke, I'll have to pop out the rivets and replace them when I get those parts.

Best of luck...

Raz