A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear wiring harness

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2004, 11:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear wiring harness

Anyone ever had to replace a rear wiring harness? My car is in getting the 90K mile service, including timing belt, water pump, thermostat, valve cover gaskets.

I had an issue regarding my fog lights and interior lights that resulted in shorting out the wiring harness that goes into the rear deck of the car. Apparently, I need to replace it, at a cost of around $600, being split around 50/50 or 60/40 either way on parts and labor.

One other issue came up. I asked them to change the tranny filter and fluid. They told me that they had seen them destroy the threads coming off and they were hesitant to do it. I know lots of people here have done it and it needs to be done, but has anyone else seen this come up? I told them to hold off on doing the tranny change as I don't want someone who isn't confident doing that work. Any input?

By the way, I have 95K on my car and decided to put the money into the car with the idea I would drive it another 95K. I even took it to an out of town dealer who let me bring my own parts and seemed to give me a better price. I guess we'll see if it pays off now.

Sam
Old 09-02-2004, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Very smart move on the tranny part

I wouldnt go to a dealer who was not confident in their work. As for the wiring harness.. are the foglights the ony issue? I would think it would be much easier to run new wires to the foglights for 15-20 dollars in wire and connectors then a $600 harness.
Old 09-02-2004, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Hard to believe you need a new harness

Can you explain your wiring problem?

Heck, you could probably come up my way and we could fix it for next to nothing.

Find somebody who is confident to do the tranny change...it's easy.
Old 09-02-2004, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I did the tranny fluid in my driveway by myself. Next-time I'll do it on a lift...

Don't know what to do about the wiring harness.
Old 09-02-2004, 12:03 PM

Default 2nd that

looks like separate parts anyway. See ETKA 972-42.

BTW, 90K for the cambelt service? That's rather late... (120k km here = 75k mls).
Old 09-02-2004, 12:33 PM

Default Re: Hard to believe you need a new harness

According to the dealer, the wiring is frayed and shorting out in at least two places. They said the harness runs to the back into the trunk area.

What's happened is my fog lights are out, the indicator light for the headlights below the speedo won't light, and the lights on the stereo for the stations, and the strip of buttons for the hazards, the fog lights, etc., are out. I believe it also blew the fuse for the power locks.

What would it take to repair?

Sam
Old 09-02-2004, 12:38 PM

Default Re: 2nd that

Yep, the timing belt is recommended at 90K. My 91 200Q was done at 75, and I believe my V8 was also 75K.

What do the parts look like you indicated?

I don't have a VAGCOM or a parts list. Looks like that's my next investment.

Sam
Old 09-02-2004, 12:41 PM

Default Re: Very smart move on the tranny part

I also have an issue with the lights for the headlamp indicators on the dash, the station buttons for the stereo, and the illumination lights for the fog lamps, hazards switch.
Old 09-02-2004, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Are these the problems we tried to troubleshoot about six months ago here?

I think they are....the wiring is frayed and shorting out in at least two places.....

Why would you want to replace the harness versus repair it? Splice in a 12" piece of wire in a couple of spaces and you're done.

I don't understand how the wire has frayed and caused shorts....doesn't sound right to me. If I paid them $600 I would want it in writing first that this will fix the problem otherwise you don't owe them anything.

A simple repair would cost about $10 in parts. The hard part about electrical repair isn't the repair, but the troubleshooting of the circuit.

And I've never seen a dealer who is up to that skill.

If you wanted to come to Chicago for a Saturday, I would help you but can't promise we can fix it....we could fix it....just a matter of finding the problem that's the hard part and can take more than a day.

pw
Old 09-02-2004, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Have you ever see this page?

<ul><li><a href="http://www.audipages.com/Tech_Articles/enginemechanical/tbparts.html">http://www.audipages.com/Tech_Articles/enginemechanical/tbparts.html</a</li></ul>

Quick Reply: Rear wiring harness