A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Regarding Wheel Alignment or...

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 05:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Regarding Wheel Alignment or...

...toe adjustment: I have heard both suggestions for my car, but I wonder if I could get a more definite answer. The symptom is that the front left tire is nearer to its low thread marker plus is almost completely worn out at the outer edge only. Right front tire has normal wear and not as worn out as the left one.

Any ideas? Is this an alignment or left front toe issue?
Old 02-16-2009, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Probably. Easy enough to check with a tape measure.

Just measure across groove to groove on the front & rear side of the front tires - as high up as you can without the tape measure contacting the underside of the car (which won't be very high up). Anything more than 1/16" should be corrected soon.

Last fall I had 1 tire worn completely bald on the inside shoulder due to 5/32" toe in.
Old 02-16-2009, 05:48 AM

Default Sorry (blame it on my low IQ) -- I don't understand the procedure...

Groove to groove, w/o contacting the underside of the car? Do you have any photos on how?
Old 02-16-2009, 06:17 AM

Default with wear that that you need a rack, given the cost of tires

the measurement suggested is of non-parallelism, how much the inward the fronts of the tires are, toward each, other relative to the rears.

a badly worn outer tire edge sounds like too much positive camber on that side, but on these cars to adjust the camber you move the whole subframe relative to the body and one side affects the other. you have to split the values. Audi cheaped out on that. OF course you could have combined toe and camber issues.

you can often detect bad toe wear by feel, running your fingers sideways across the tread (pervert) it feels directional, like velvet, more one way than the other. it can be quite noticable.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:17 AM

How much is a complete toe/camber adjustment on A8s?
Old 02-16-2009, 08:14 AM

Alignment = Done at an Audi stealer or any respectable shop would do, right?
Old 02-16-2009, 02:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default No problem, here's the highlights....

No pictures though...visualize...

Preferably car is sitting on a level surface with the wheels pointed straight ahead.

Feed the tape measure under the car from one side - start with it either behind or in front of the front tires. Have one person hold the "dumb end" of the tape measure in one of the tread grooves. Doesn't matter which one, as long as they use the same groove on the front and back side. You'll want the tape measure up as close to the under carriage without touching it (it's spanning the width of the car at this point). Make sure it's not twisted or sagging. Read the "smart end" of tape measure at any convenient point - I usually pick a tread groove that lines up nicely with one of the 1/16" marks on the tape. WRITE THE NUMBER DOWN because you'll surely forget what you said when you move to the front/back side. I do...

Make the same measurement on the opposite side (front/back) of the tire. Both people should use their same respective tread groove or you'll be way off.