A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remote wouldn't unlock door today...

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2004, 07:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote wouldn't unlock door today...

Tried all buttons but nothing worked. I had to get my second key, which unlocked the doors no problem. Then used my original key to start the car, and it worked to lock and unlock the doors again. Bizarre...

Any other D3 owners had similar experience? Thankfully it happened at home...would've hated it if I was out without my spare key nearby.
Old 04-07-2004, 07:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Remember you can manually unlock the door, the keyhole is under the driver's door handle.
Old 04-07-2004, 08:40 PM
ZRH
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Remote wouldn't unlock door today...

Yep, I had that problem recently. Unlocking the door manually as Plano-4.2 suggested to you got me into the car; then I had your experience that starting the car seemed to "reboot" the key. Service Consultant says he never heard of such a problem. disquieting nonetheless...
Old 04-08-2004, 09:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default yep, happened to me a while back

I was at the mall. Temperature was about 36
degrees F. Pressed the remote and nothing
happened. Tried to open the door manually
and that didn't work either. On-Star tried
to open it remotely - that didn't work.
The Audi person on the phone was convinced the
lock was frozen. Maybe it was but I didn't think
it was cold enough.

This all took maybe 1.5 hours. Then magically
the remote worked and I drove home.

While I'm on the topic, the On-Star person that day
was super helpful. They patched me through
to the Audi Roadside Assistance person
who was decidedly *unhelpful*.
Old 04-08-2004, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default I've forgotten..and how do you get "on-Star" without being in the car?

I think I got a card with a phone number and I thinks it's in the glove box, will have to check.
I need to get more familiar with OnStar, they called me last night and tried to sell me additional phone air time ( more than the 30 minutes ) that comes with the first year Audi free service with initial delivery of D3.

I'm surprised your "hard" key ( at the end of the keyFOB )wouldn't open the door after lifting the door ****.
Old 04-08-2004, 05:02 PM

Default Numerous problems with my key

I have had numerous problems with my key - all intermittent - sometimes the remote failed to open the trunk, sometimes it failed to open the doors, and sometimes it even refused to start the engine - I would put it in the ignition, the MMI would pop up, but then nothing.... After numerous retries, it all of a sudden would start working. In all instances, the key would seem to be rebooted and would start working fine for a few days. I finally quit using my key and started using my wife's key. It only failed to open the car once in six weeks, while my key would fail one to two times each week.

The dealer ordered a new key for me. I had the car in today for its 15,000 mile service. They replaced the radio remote control sender in my key and re-programmed all of the keys. Hopefully this will take care of the problem. I will re-post if my keys start to have problems again.

By the way, other then these quirky issues with the keys and some quirky intermittent issues with the MMI, the car has performed extremely well through 16,500 miles.

P.S. Congratulations on your selection of a great exterior and interior color for your car.