A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Repair log...Sure sign of mental illness (long)

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 11:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I included them more for my information/history of the car...

I think that this car is not typical for the year either. It is an early 1999 (last of the VIN is 799) and that may have something to do with it.

The transmission rebuild has been a great deal though. It really drives well.

This listing was more of an intellectual exercise than anything. It would be great to see others experience with repairs over the life of their ownership.
Old 12-06-2008, 11:10 AM

Default The ABS sensors weren't that expensive

They were included with other service items and bundled together.

Makes them look expensive, but the worst part is the frequency of failure. Very annoying.
Old 12-06-2008, 11:13 AM

Default I have recently moved to Hayden Idaho

and found a great mechanic in Coeur d'Alene. This guy really knows German cars and has been a great help in the past year. Anybody in this area should see Josh at European Machine in Couer d'Alene. He is great.
Old 12-06-2008, 11:16 AM

Default Like I said, I had more money than time

when I bought this car. I like to work on cars, but I am a physician and get called in frequently without warning to the hospital. No time to clean up enough to take care of patients when I am all greasy.
Old 12-06-2008, 01:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default WOW! Have I been lucky!

I have a 99 as well, bought with 90K miles.

There have been many "repairs", but not that have cost much cash.

Brake pads front last year, and now the rears when the snow tires were put on. That's like $120 total.

Oil cooler seals, $30
Trans tail shaft seal $20
Trans fluid and filter $130
Trans valve body, (used) N/C
Throttle position sensor $80 (not really needed, but we were trying stuff to further our understanding of hunt and thump)
Vag-com $200
Floor mats suitable for Vermont winters $50
Wheels and snow tires (17's) $800

Oil and filter changes, about $300

With a bit over 40 thousand miles covered, that comes to about 4 cents per mile.

less than depreciation on a late model Accord? ;-))

CalG
Old 12-06-2008, 02:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default I understand your position. To me it is sad that we are put into this

situation with these great cars. When I bought the first of my D2's, I thought my days of wrenching were over (at least that was the plan). In younger times, I worked on my cars (all VW/Audi and BMW) because I liked it and I couldn't afford to pay the prices that good mechanics command in this area or maybe I should say I preferred to invest that money in real estate and stocks. But as I approached my mid thirties and gained promotion to greater job responsibilities (and much, much greater $$$), I decided this pristine A8 would be dealer serviced and I would just suck it up and pay the price. When you say you have no time, I can relate, having two young kids and a 60hr work week that I often take home with me. But here's the rub: It just NAWS AT MY GUT when I am taken advantage of by some under-educated idiot service advisor who is more con artist than technical expert. I just cannot live with that. And I tried, I really did.

My first year and a half of owning the A8 was exactly the same as your experience. The local dealer here marks up parts (most of which they merely order instead of keeping in stock) nearly 70% over cost. So they have huge incentive to put every possible part on your car that they can sell you. But what kills me is they FLAT OUT LIE and I cannot live with that no matter how well off I am. As an example, I had just done a complete brake job on the car with new rotors and pads, but took it to the dealer for some other unrelated issues about 5k miles later. I asked them to check out the low brake pad sensor wire connection because of an occasional false indicator light in the dash. Instead of checking the wire, they took the opportunity to tell me that my (nearly brand new) brakes AND rotors were worn out and would need immediate replacement at a cost of $1100 FOR the FRONT ONLY!!!! This was more than twice the price which I had spent to do all 4 wheels, even with new calipers at the rear. [These pads and rotors are still on the car 70k miles later BTW.] This is no isolated incident in my years of dealing with VW/Audi dealers, especially the Ann Arbor VW-Audi stealer who perpetrated this incident. So here I am at 40 years old doing things that I thought I had sort of grown out of like changing timing belts and rebuilding front ends and changing output shaft seals. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy doing it and now that I have found AW it's even easier, but finding time is a huge challenge. And I don't believe all dealers are crooked. The local Chevy dealer who maintains my Silverado HD has never once lied to me.

So good luck with your new mechanic. Time will tell if you've found a good one. Hang out here and you will get a lot of information that will help you know if he's doing right by you. And by all means consult the great membership of this board when in doubt. Cheers!
Old 12-06-2008, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default You got me beat.

You must have bought the car just after the timing belt change had been done - no?
Old 12-06-2008, 03:16 PM

Default Ahhhhh....No

No record of any belt change

I know, .......maybe next summer ;-)

Cal
Old 12-06-2008, 03:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'm not your mother but....
Old 12-06-2008, 03:29 PM

Default Shhhhhh....

There's a science project in progress.

What comes first?

Roller bearings, tensioner, water pump,thermostat.

or "the belt"?
(I'm hoping it's the T stat. ;-)

We have over 200K miles on the '99 VW Jetta, all original.

The belt and stuff on the '96 A6 were changed out at about 165K. The belt looked fine. Everything did, but it's all new now (178k)

No Tears if it goes ugly, promise!

Cal

Quick Reply: Repair log...Sure sign of mental illness (long)