A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roundel Article: 740 v. A8

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2000, 05:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Roundel Article: 740 v. A8

Perhaps not, but you jumped at the chance to rub numbers in somebody's face who posted information about an article that compared the A8 favorably to the 7 (BMW magazine too, did you read it?) because like many BMW owners you were appalled that somebody might have thought his car was as good as your BMW and had to take actions to correct that opinion quickly. How come I didn't see you mention that the A8 has a better engine? More refined and more powerful? How come I didn't hear you mention that the A8 was quicker? Faster? (With the limiter removed on both.) You answered a very polite post about both cars with only the intention of pointing out some numbers (Which don't mean as much in a car for this type of market, they are not sports cars.) that made your car look better. The original post was not one sided, yours was, I responded with like since I know how you can get. As I stated before it is useless to compare a 7 series and a A8 in this forum because everybody here already did and picked the better car. The debate is over and I have not heard a single person here regret their choice. Also, you need to go drive a 2000 A8, it is a much different car in many ways than your 97 or 98.

Here is some of the article, the summary, reprinted from Bimmer Magazine. It would seem like this magazine dedicated to BMW's likes both cars very well.

<B>"</B>Though we wish we could arrive at a conclusion in which we proclaim one car or the other as the superior automobile, it's simply impossible in this case. The BMW performs better in nearly every quantifiable aspect, save for engine performance and interior comfort, so it would be perfectly sensible to choose it for that reason alone. However, <FONT COLOR="#0000DD"><B>the Audi is a truly alluring car that inspires us in a way that BMW simply can't</B></FONT>. As good as it is, <FONT COLOR="#BB0000"><B>we just didn't look forward to driving the 740 as much as we did the A8</B></FONT>. The BMW is more remarkable than special; it surprises with its capabilities, yet feels like a rather ordinary big car most of the time. <FONT COLOR="#008800"><B>The Audi, however, makes driving a special event every time you turn the key</B></FONT>.

Driving the BMW is like dancing with a fat man and being surprised by his grace and agility. Driving the Audi, on the other hand, is like having a partner so handsome and suave that you'll forgive him if he steps on your toes now and again. The one you prefer depends on whether you like to lead from your heart or from you head.<B>"</B>
Old 03-04-2000, 05:50 PM

I did indeed drive a few 2000 Audis. The A6 with the 4.2 (quite impressed) and the 2000 A8. I found the A8 to be cheaper than the previous A8s, look at the stereo, the steering wheel, the leather... I do have connoley leather on mine (as all 97s and 98s), the car is higher, the separate fog lights look cheap... they even did away with the double pane glass. Sorry but the older ones were better built and looked much better (in my opinion). On the other hand, if the A6 V8 was less $$$ I would buy it on the spot. I never posted that the BMW is a better car all around, if you look at C&D the Audi A8 came in 3rd, the Lexus was 2nd and the 740il was THE BEST (for them).

... On a side note... even the buttons are cheper in the 2000 A8. I never trust what the magazines state, I make my opinion by driving the car. The armrest on the older A8s was a "sculpture" with it's alluminum stand. Now it's a common armrest. Except for the 5 valve engine, the older A8s were a tribute to innovation and VALUE. I will give you the fact that the A8 can do 163MPH... while my 750iL can only reach 158MPH (I will try on a longer stretch of road)... but it stops on a dime. One more observation... the 740iL has more torque than the A8, the 740iL has 22 Lbs of extra torque and a perfect 50-50 weight distribution. While the extra 250 lbs. doesn't make for a "fat car" I will say that you do feel them but you learn how to deal with them.

Now, I admitted that the A8 excels under certain aspects, why do you still want to prove that it's a better car in EVERYTHING?

Charles
Old 03-05-2000, 07:02 AM

Because this is an Audi forum which you can't seem to accept. I see way to many soccer mom's driving BMW's. When I see an Audi driver I know it is somebody who understands cars and thinks a purchase out. Sorry, but the Audi A8 is a much better car than the 7 in pretty much every regard. Let me post a few lines from the BIMMER (dedicated BMW magazine.) in case you missed them. Keep in mind, this IS an Audi forum. Why don't you go praise BMW's in a forum with the other soccer moms? The Audi is better in every conceivable way, but I will give you that the BMW rides harsher.

<B>

.....the Audi is a truly alluring car that inspires us in a way that BMW simply can't.

....., we just didn't look forward to driving the 740 as much as we did the A8.

The BMW ..... feels like a rather ordinary big car most of the time.

The Audi, however, makes driving a special event every time you turn the key.

Driving the BMW is like dancing with a fat man....

</B>Straight from Bimmer, a dedicated BMW magazine. I hope you're not surprised to fine people praising Audis in an Audi forum. We have all already decided that it is a superior machine over the BMW so why are you even here? In my next reply I will dig out my Automobile collection and fine the issue where it won the Luxury Car Superstar award and reprint that. They REALLY like it over the 7 series in every way. It is David E. Davis' favorite car and the car he would own if he could only have one. So, from all this it is only logical to conclude that Audi makes a better car than the BMW. I hope you understand Charles that you are in an Audi forum but you don't understand much so I don't expect you will be able to grasp that concept either. Just on a closing note I would like to add that the Audi A8 is better than the 7 series with the exception that the 7 series is fatter.
Old 03-15-2000, 05:12 PM

Some people don't have to "make the choice".
I have both and I feel that I can express a rather un-biased opinion.

If you had the 7er you would be bragging about that, just like you do with your Corvette C5 (I have ne too....)

Charles
http://www.aircrewtax.com/pers/index.htm
Old 03-15-2000, 06:56 PM

Hey did you see what Bimmer Magazine, a magazine dedicated to BMW's by the way, had to say when comparing the two?

.....the Audi is a truly alluring car that inspires us in a way that BMW simply can't.

....., we just didn't look forward to driving the 740 as much as we did the A8.

The BMW ..... feels like a rather ordinary big car most of the time.

The Audi, however, makes driving a special event every time you turn the key.

Driving the BMW is like dancing with a fat man....
Old 03-15-2000, 07:16 PM

Default AND.....

If I did have a 7 series and liked it I would probably be bragging about it BUT NOT IN AN AUDI GROUP YOU IDIOT, I WOULD DO IT IN A BMW GROUP WHERE IT BELONGS. You only do it here because you are a childish ******* with deep routed emotional problems where you have to prove everything you own is the best. You are a sick ****, get help, your car sucks because it's yours, it was a stupid choice because you made it. Nobody likes you. Get help sad boy.
Old 03-25-2000, 01:14 PM

Default Audi doesn´t surely build better cars than BMW

Like most people here I even own an A8 (4,2 quattro Tiptronic), beside my old V8 4,2 Automatic. Before buying the A8 i drove several BMW 7-Series E38 including an 740i and an 750i.

The BMW 7-Series are great cars (like A8 and S-Class, none of them is a real bad choice). They have a far better suspension than the A8´s which provides a really harsh ride, especially for a luxury car (the optional Audi Sports Suspension is a really more harmonic choice). The 7-Series even has a more direct steering (the A8´s is very indirect) which gives a better handling on curvy roads but even submits all influences from the road. The weakest point of the 7-Series is the weight. Driving a 7 is like driving a tank. The A8 feels very light, lighter than even an A4. And even when the performance of an 750i is a tad better than the A8´s the Audi subjectively feels much more active. Not to forget the A8 has a bigger inside room than the standard 7-Series (not L-Version, of course), a non-rustable body and the quattro drivetrain (which was the point why I took the A8)...

IMHO BMW made a mistake with the E38 7-Series which was more oriented on the MB client´s wishes than for the E32 customers that got a sportive luxury car. So they built a very conservative car that brought a lot of customers to Audi, but BMW even caught a big number of potential S-Class clients. That´s buisness...

BMW 7 and A8 are cars with different characters. Unlike other BMW´s the actual 7-Series is a big and heavy luxury car for soft cruising, but far away from being a performance car. The A8 is more a car for the self-driver than for people with chauffeurs. It misses the last bit of comfort but provides more activity. Both are very good cars...

Benjamin
Old 03-25-2000, 01:19 PM

Default Re: Audi doesn´t surely build better cars than BMW

Oh, I forgot the brakes: the BMW 7-Series has a very good brake, but the Audi HP2-brake used in the A8 and old S6 is better. But I heard some US models have different brakes (smaller) than my German A8...

Benjamin