A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S8 Caliper/Carrier Torque Specs?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 06:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks cool, how is the stopping performance?
Old 06-10-2013, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by S8ilver
Well, got the brakes on this weekend. Sure enough, the front calipers bolt directly to the bearing housings...way easier than the rears.

The pads I chose did not come with wear sensors (knew before I ordered). I was having false brake pad warning lights prior to the job, so knew I had to short the connection. Unfortunately, I STILL have the pad warning. What gives? I cleaned up both connections very well, and used a solid crimp on connection on the olt pad wiring. I don't feel like ripping the instrument cluster apart to address it there.

Is there another place I should be looking for an open circuit...i.e. the permanent wiring? Everything appeard to be in good shape.
I had trouble with those connections "looking" clean. I peeled back the boot on the car side of the plug and bridged the wires together there....no more warning light.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Serlock
Looks cool, how is the stopping performance?
Holy crap! I never knew what I was missing. Don't get me wrong, the stock performance is great, but these things bite hard...and not in the bad way! I did the recommended procedure from Stoptech (10 moderate-hard stops from 60mph-10mph...let cool...repeat...let cool again). Then I was tested on the way to the airport yesterday. On a curving two-lane on ramp, an SUV decided to cut me off. I had to slam on the brakes hard...they clamped with so much force I got a tire chirp before the ABS even had time to kick in. I looked mad on the outside, but was smiling on the inside. She now stops as well as she goes.

Adams rotors - overdimpled pattern
Stoptech street performance pads

Rears:
Attached Images  

Last edited by S8ilver; 06-10-2013 at 08:33 AM.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by silverd2
I had trouble with those connections "looking" clean. I peeled back the boot on the car side of the plug and bridged the wires together there....no more warning light.
Thanks, I'll try that next. I could have looked closer at the car side. I was so annoyed when I shifted into drive to go bed the pads and got the warning AGAIN.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi does anyone know the part number for the M14 caliper bolt in this picture?

Originally Posted by silverd2
If I'm seeing the drawings correctly in ETKA, Brembo calipers (solid mounted) are held on with M12 bolts (81 ft lbs would make sense) inserted front rear to front of car. Doesn't appear that the carrier has to be removed to pull the rotor.

HP2 (mine) carriers, held on by M14 (140 ft lbs) have to be removed (inserted inside of car toward outside) to clear the rotor...this is after the floating caliper is removed. I've done this myself.

If you need to remove the carrier after removing the caliper and it's held on by M14 bolts, I would assume that connection would be 140 ft lbs(?).

Am I correct in assuming that, due to a completely different solid mount caliper design, the carrier stays in place during rotor changes?

Attachment 85616

Hi does anyone know the part number for the M12 caliper bolt listed as #4 in this picture? Even my dealer does not know!!!!