A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The S8 is GREAT, but.......

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nah, get a back-seat undercover and you're set. My two small kids...

do not eat stuff in the S8, only in mommy's car (which is a mess inside!) Space-wise, I find it hard that an A8/S8 platform is not 'big enough' to fit the baby seats inside. C'mon, how people in Europe manage then?! Either our butts are too big state-wise or we've become too comfy with our "space" and don't mind a bit of inconvenience. Besides, with twins on the way, all concepts of personal comfort, quiet time, couple's priorities, etc. are out of the window. You've got to keep something for you to get you going over the next 2yrs...and your car is your own personal heaven! If you give that one up too, then what else is left -- grow nipples to breast-feed the little ones? :-)

I'm just teasing you... Congratulations on the twins; it's going to be a very exciting time and worth every minute when you look back at these moments 20yrs from now!
Old 06-06-2008, 11:45 AM

Default Re: The S8 is GREAT, but.......

being from Europe (also dutch btw), I can confirm that people over here are easily able to haul kids stuff around in cars much smaller than A8's.

We have two little kids and we never had any problem hauling stuff around. The boot is easily big enough to fit a huge 3-wheeler stroller and all other baby requirements and implements.

As they grow bigger (6 and 8) you'll find they still produce a lot of luggage. This summer we will even put a XXXXL tent in the boot and all clothing and camping requirement. Ni problemas senor.

And; if it doesn't fit it probably isn't worth hauling.

PS: it is a true remark that your car is your private space for the time coming.
Old 06-06-2008, 01:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default good luck with the feeler/sale.... it sucks you arent in PA, I just started working for a Chrysler

jeep dealership and would make sure that if you traded it in you would be getting top dollar for it. that is of course if you arent against buying American cars. I would fill you in on the current incentives but you live in CO, so they're probably different.
Old 06-06-2008, 06:09 PM

I can fit 4 full bags of laundry and a large pushing cart and more.
Old 06-06-2008, 06:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default I've got almost the same problem... (updated)

Congrats on the twins. You're going to have a wonderful and unique life experience that is reserved the the lucky few that can handle it.

I have a 1 yeard old and a new born so that's two car seats for a long time. The SWB A8 or my RX300 were not up to the job of carrying me, my wife, two kids and the Au Pair. After many test drives I leased a 2008 Honda Odysey Touring (429/month 3999 due at signing). The odyssey is great over all. I put in the two rear facing car seats and still have room for my wife, 2 friends and lots of gear.

The odyssey is better on gas than the A8, I would imagine way better than the S8.

The Odyssey has a better latch system so the child car seats fit more snug.

The Odyssey like most front drivers has noticeable tourque stear. I hate that.

The Odyssey is basically a big open space inside, so over large bumps the chassis shimmy's noticeably. I would expect this from any vehicle with so much open space. There no cross bracing for rigitity.

The odyssey is no Uber cruiser but it does what it advertises well. Move people and all their stuff in comfort and some style.

It's easy to take the two kids, the wife, the mother inlaw and a months work of stuff home from Cosco and still have room to spare. You cant do that in any Audi.

I put My A8 and My wifes Lexus RX300 up for sale on Craigs list, the RX300 sold in two hours for 2300$ more than I was asking. I did not get even one call for the Audi so I'm keeping it. Reliability aside, It's better than the RX

Your wife doesnt have to quit working...She can take a leave and use the time to bond and get an Au Pair, thats what we did and it's awsome! No regrets! Check out http://www.culturalcare.com/

My disposable car is a 1983 Mercedes 300SD that I bought for 420$. The previous owner was a stoner, I offered him 420$, he smiled and said Sold. I repaired all the rust and then converted it to run on waste vegitable oil. So even though gas is 4.59/gal here in NYC I really dont care. The Merc is no A8 but it's comfortable, drives well, and the AC kicks! Since I drive 300 to 500 miles a week, and use about 15 to 25 gallons of fuel, the savings of the 300SD pays for the Odyssey.
Old 06-06-2008, 09:45 PM

How tall are you? :P I'm almost 6ft, and I could fit a carseat in the back of my A6 w/ room to spare
Old 06-06-2008, 09:48 PM

Nice
Old 06-07-2008, 04:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: I know what it's really about

There are enough towels under our current car seat that there wouldn't be marks under the car seat if it stayed in the car for 100 years! :-)
Old 06-07-2008, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Ended up trying some BHP "XPS" pads....

Based on some recommendations from multiple Corvette guys, I thought I would try the BHP's. The "XPS" is/was their "Street Performance" pad. Problem is, they stop making them because it wasn't cost effective (according to their web site).

They are selling out their remaining inventory on eBay though and I picked up a set for $50. So far so good! ZERO ZERO ZERO noise and minimal dust.......it isn't ZERO dust, but MUCH better than the OEM pads which were silent as well, but so dusty it made me want to injure small animals.<ul><li><a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BHP-XPS-Porsche-993-Turbo-Front-brake-pads_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el124 7QQcategoryZ33567QQihZ019QQitemZ290200679659QQrdZ1 QQsspagenameZWD1V">eBay Link</a></li></ul>
Old 06-07-2008, 04:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default You are absolutly right....

...I would have seller's remorse until they put me into the groud. Heck, I have remorse just thinking about it! I really DON'T want to sell it and I REALLY don't want a minivan. It would be better than an SUV, but that isn't saying much.

The only issue I take up with a "Cheap" minivan (Chevy Astro comes to mind) is that with 3 kids, I visualize wrench time going to ZERO, so if anything breaks, I am going to have to pay someone to fix it for me and sinking any amount of money into an Astro van seems silly.

Still weighing the options though....

Quick Reply: The S8 is GREAT, but.......