A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The S8 is GREAT, but.......

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 04:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paul, thanks for the kind words...

.....I'll drop you a line this weekend for your #.

I must say, everything you have said makes sense....it's just a matter of convincing the wifes that it'll work. Ultimatly, SHE will be the one that will be doing 90% of the kid hauling.
Old 06-07-2008, 05:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Ughhhh....how did you even do ONE kids in the back of a B5? :-)

A friend of mine who has a kid that is similar age to our son had a 1.8t B5 and the back seat room was tighter than my old 4kq......seriously!

You are right about the "overshooting" on the "Stuff" too. To date, we have really figured out what we "need" and don't "need". The scenario that seems to keep coming up is the shopping.....like this: What happens when she has a back seat full of kids with a double stroller in the trunk, and she goes to Costco or Sam's club and buys our food/diapers/etc for the month and tries to fit it in the trunk of the car. Right now, if it doesn't fit, she just puts it in the back seat.

Saying it out loud, it sounds downright stupid to change vehicles based on a shopping trip.....in fact, I probably sound like a bloated, fat, ugly American to our European brothers and sisters here.....but we are just trying to think of the worse case scenario.

Plus, we both have family that is local to us, so the other "worst case scenario" would be: what if Grand Ma and/or Grandpa want to go somewhere with us? Separate cars would be necessary and a Minivan would probably solve that.
Old 06-07-2008, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default It's is posts like these that make me feel like an "Ugly American"...

It REALLY seems amazingly silly that I am thinking about getting rid of one of the nicest and largest cars Audi made because we are having some kids.

I guess the bottom line is that we are thinking about the worst case and that could include going out with the grand parents....or a 1000 miles road trip to see out-of-state family for Christmas. The question we ask ourselves is: is it possible to get 2 adults, 3 kids in cars seats and a weeks worth of luggage in the boot for all 5 of us and THEN drive 1000 miles?

I can't say that I know the answer to that....yet. Not to mention that something like a Honda Odyssey is going to do 30-40% better on the fuel consumption.
Old 06-07-2008, 05:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I don't have a "Problem" with american iron...

....I have a problem with the TERRIBLE repuataion the Chrysler family of vans have. Reading review at places like Edmunds.com, people flat out HATE their Chrysler/Dodge minivans.

I really do apprecaite the thought and wish you the best for your new job.
Old 06-07-2008, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default This is a great response! Thanks!

*IF* (Huge "IF"), we ended up with a minivan, it would 110% be the Odyssey. I wouldn't buy new and I probably wouldn't lease, but I have been looking at '06-'07 EX-L and Touring models. They are, hands down, the most praised minivan in the industry. They only gripe I have is the lack of AWD, even as an option. I could go to the Sienna to get it, but the Honda receives so much praise, that it would be hard for me to NOT buy one.

The ONLY grip I hear about the Touring is the horrible, terrible, no good, very bad PAX tires. There is even a class action law suit going against Honda and Michelin over them.

Furthermore, Quoting you: "It's easy to take the two kids, the wife, the mother inlaw and a months work of stuff home from Cosco and still have room to spare. You cant do that in any Audi."

This is EXACTLY the scenario I see messing up the theory that a D2 can be used with 3 kids and all our "Stuff". It does make me question myself when I am thinking of selling a great car and buying a minivan just so the grand parents (or whoever) can go shopping with us. They have a car, they can follow us! :-) ......it's still a consideration though.
Old 06-07-2008, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: It's not the "Stuff" I am worried about....

Ben,

I am with Paul K, I had an S6 and two children one facing rear and facing front and I am 6'3" and no trouble putting them in the car safely and comfortably. The S8 would be a breeze to fit the children in and as far as safety is concerned we all know these cars are supremely safe in an accident. But more importantly you have a much better chance of avoiding an accident in your S8 then in a minivan, think maneuverability, acceleration, brakes, oh and AWD.

I would suggest that you buy the car seats or borrow a couple, I bet a baby store will let you "test fit" the seats in your car, I believe you will be pleased with the outcome. By the way, look for rear facing car seats that will accomodate your children, rear facing, up to 30lbs otherwise you will be buying another set of car seats fairly quickly, I learned the hard way as standards changed pursuant to my pediatrician's advice. I can say that I and my wife and two children went for Christmas to my sister's, some 600 miles away, with the car loaded with Christmas gifts for her family and mine and accompnaying luggage, including sleeping bags and air mattress, for a week with no problem.

The only caveat, I would ask a baby car seat person about, is the fact that you have side bags in the rear and some seats don't do work as effectively with these. But I think given my experience representing fire departments and ambulances this is not fact, but myth. The bag provides side impact, protusion, safety and is not strong enough to crush or damage the shell of the car seat.

I can't be the only red S8 on the forum!!!

One more thing, CONGRATULATIONS, having children is the best thing you will ever do.

John
Old 06-07-2008, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Yes, PAX Sux

The PAX system was an option on the touring in for 08. This was a huge factor in my decision to buy one. In prior years all touring models came with PAX. My neighbor has a PAX 2006 and it rides harder and he's about to shell out $600 for two new tires at the dealer. You could get a Loaded ExL and get a tomtom. This was not an option for me since the slope on my driveway and the amount of kids in my neighborhood necessitated the backup camera.

I though about buying a used 2005 to 2006. They want crazy money... The best deal I could find was a Black 2005 with 96k miles for 19'5k. Yea OK! Right...I'm not shelling out 20,000+ for a used car with that mileage. When I factored in normal depreciation, $2000 in repairs, taxes, the lease was slightly more expensive by about 100$) per month based on 3 years of ownership. The lease made more sense beacuse for 100$ a month a get new car, new tires and a warranty. If they come out with an Odyssey Hybrid the depreciation will be much worse and could have made buying a used Odyssey more expensive that Leasing it after three years.
Old 06-07-2008, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Why not just rent one for those rare, annual trips?
Old 06-07-2008, 03:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default All I can say is Honda Odyssey, oh yeah!

Really, nothing better for hauling kids and their gear. We had a Volvo V70 and it still got a little cramped with those darn carseats. One thing, keep at least one car because it is hard to look cool driving to work in a minivan. Ask me, I know. Congratulations.
Bob
Old 06-07-2008, 06:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default It was a B6 but the rear seats 5uck just the same. I never thought I would switch but at a certain

point, i felt it was just unacceptable that the kid couldn't get in on his on so much the space was tight.

But now with the S8, there is so much space!

I'd like to comment on your worst case scenario by telling you how I managed it with 2 kids: when there is such a trip to Costco needed, I or my gf go there alone, it makes it a little break from the brouhaha of the house with the kids, and all the space needed is available in the car. Even though i go there at 8PM after work, it is always appreciated to have this time off shopping, even at Costco!

Also, when will you find the time to make a trip with grandma or grandpa? ;-) At best, you give them a kid or a day so *they* go for a little trip and you get a little rest. :-)

Having the family close is great, I made efforts to improve our relationship (e.g. call more often!) when the kids came and it pays back a million times!

Good luck!

martin

Quick Reply: The S8 is GREAT, but.......