A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S8 interest

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2000, 01:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S8 interest

I'm wondering how much interest there is in the S8 right now. I still seem to be the only S8 customer (with a deposit) at my dealership, and I don't see a lot of excitement (or even interest) here at audiworld. My S8 will be here in Feb, and I'm still looking forward to it. But I'm wondering if the model is going to be successful here in the US. I'm worried about the resell value 3-4 years down the road. What do you all think?
Old 12-07-2000, 04:24 PM

Default S8 is coming to US too late in the model life cycle

I know that there won't be a new S8 for a few more years, but the current A8/S8 body is in its last years. I think the new body A8 will debut as a 2003 model.

The S8 will also be overshadowed by the Mercedes S500 and S55 AMG. If Audi USA's performance claims are acccurate, the S8 is not even as fast as the S500. The S55 AMG has slightly less horsepower but lots more torque than the S8. Coupled with a newer platform, the S55 will trump the S8 in every performance and luxury category.

I think Audi USA should have either introduced the S8 a year or two ago or waited until the next generation A8 comes out.

The other problem with the S8 is that the Audi A8 is virtually ignored in this country. Annual sales barely exceed 2000 units, which doesn't come close to the Lexus LS, BMW 7-Series or the S-Class. It's hard for the S8 to make much of an impact when the parent model is virtually nonexistent on the luxury market.
Old 12-07-2000, 04:57 PM

Default Paying full MSRP?

That's the other potential problem with the S8: the price tag. According to my calculations, the S8 costs over 9 grand more than a comparably equipped A8 (with 17" wheels) on an MSRP basis. This price differential includes $1700 in gas guzzler tax that the S8 buyer has to pay.

I am pretty sure one can buy an A8 for a couple grand over invoice (perhaps even less since the demand is low). The S8, being a new limited edition model, will likely command full or close to full sticker price (unless there are no buyers at all), which drive the price differential close to 15 grand. Since the S8 is only marginally quicker and more powerful than an A8, I think it's hard to justify this trpe of price premium (unless you don't care about the value quotient).

Don't get me wrong. I would love to own one, but even if I had the money, I would probably go for an A8 at a good price and upgrade the suspension and go with aftermarket 18" wheels. Of course, it won't be the same car, but it would be a better investment. Just my opinion.
Old 12-07-2000, 06:42 PM

Default Re: S8 interest

How many S8's will be sold here? Maybe 400 or so in 2001? Man that's exclusive! IMHO this will be the ticket to resale value. There won't be a lot to choose from when it comes time to buy one used. Try to find a black A8 2000 with a carmel or platinum interior. Maybe there's 200 out there and they arn't for sale. I've looked. I'm waiting and I'll probably have to pay more than I want to when the right car turns up. So, order an S8 with colors and options that will be in demand and you should not have trouble selling it when the time comes.
Old 12-07-2000, 08:53 PM

Default Re: Paying full MSRP?

You make some excellent points, and I'm definitely keeping my eye out for an M5 at a reasonable price. I don't really like the new Mercedes S-class that much, and it's a bit pricey (especially with dealer markups on certain models right now)

I'm not sure I want to pay full MSRP for the S8. If Feb. comes around and the dealer still hasn't sold more than 2-3 cars, I might push for some discount.
Old 12-07-2000, 09:21 PM

Default Can't believe this S8 on ebay!

I can't believe there are people in Oregon who are willing to pay $5,600 for the right to order the first S8. Is the car really that much more popular on the west coast. Out here on the east coast, S8 order slots are easy to get. (for free!)<ul><li><a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=515108819&r=0&t=0">Suc ker born every minute?</a></li></ul>
Old 12-08-2000, 08:10 AM

Default It works both ways ....

If there aren't many buyers out there for new A8/S8's, what makes you think that there will be a hotter market for used ones? I think the demand for used A8/S8's will be there if they are marked down significantly from their original prices. I can't see a 2 or 3 year old S8 commanding 15 grand more than a used A8.

The fact is that the A8 is a slow seller everywhere. If you read British car magazines, you'll see that they warn about A8's very low residual values.

By the way, there was a fully loaded used 2000 A8 with 15K miles on sale in the LA Times about a month or two ago. The ad said black/gray, which I assume meant black/platinum. The asking price was only $51K.
Old 12-08-2000, 08:27 AM

Default Re: S8 is coming to US too late in the model life cycle

I don't think S8 buyers are thinking value. It's about not wanting to see yourself "coming and going".
Old 12-08-2000, 11:44 AM

Default Re: Can't believe this S8 on ebay!

I've been watching ebay and have seen 6 sales of early "slots" on the waiting lists in several states. Most went for over $5,000. One I think went for $20k!!!!
Old 12-10-2000, 10:44 PM

Default Re: S8 interest

While I agree, I suppose, with all of the points made in this thread, it's worth pointing out resale value shouldn't be the key consideration here. The car has a four-year 24-hr roadside assistance and maintenance package, plus complete warranty. So, own the car for four years, then bring it back to your dealer for the latest topline ride and be done with it.

If you're getting an S8, then you're an enthusiast and will probably be back in four years for the best cookies in the jar anyway. (If you don't like the audi line up in four years, get a Porsche

As for the peroformance issue, realize the technology in this car, despite it's often cited "age", is superior to others in its class. Off-the-line speed is not performance; performance is holding speed once you achieve it. Most people focus in on the 0-60 times and how many fractions of a second this car is off from something else. First of all, car mags get those times by dropping clutches and smoking tires -- stuff you wouldn't normally do on the way to the office. More important, tho, is having a car that can keep the speed it gains after start. Just ask yourself, would you feel better beating someone off the line by a hood-length, or losing them by carlengths in the first curve? If you prefer the later option, then reconsider the S8.

To understand the point one need only review Audi's LMP wins over the last few years. These victories stem from RS8's ability to hold the road at speed. In the production car, with the quattro, suspension, etc. you're basically buying that road-holding pedigree.

All of the other front-engine, rearwheel sedans in its class push bigtime! This inability for the front tires to hold the road requires deceleration into turns. With Quattro, you can actually increase grip by staying on the throttle (to a point). That's why you can drive audis on line at higher speeds.

Finally, someone made a point about exclusivity. I don't know what's parked in the garage at your office building (or parking lot), but at mine, when it comes to sedans, it's all MBZ500, BMW7, and Lexus. No one will have my car. Whether or not they want it or not when they see it is irrelevant. In fact, the less people know about the car, the better. They'll get keyed before me.

Quick Reply: S8 interest