A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S8 rattles

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2001, 04:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S8 rattles

I have a persistent rattle in the driver's door/window. I brought my car at the dealership to get this rattle fixed and another one in the dashboard; they fixed both which was good news; unfortunately the one in the door is back. I believe it is the door seal that makes this rattle and that they fixed it th first time by tightening the door and siliconing the seal. Does someone has the same problem? I still cant believe that such a great driving car has so many annoying squeaks and rattles and that you have to turn on the radio not to get annoyed by these lousy sounds. I feel that it is due also by the lack of rigidity of the lightweight aluminium space frame; the car flexes and you can feel it on the bad new york state roads. I hope that they fix thes problems on the new A8/S8 to come in a couple of years. I had the same kind of annoying problems on my last generation S6.
Old 08-26-2001, 06:22 AM

Ill tell you how to fix it...............if you tell me how to un-f^$#K my windows XP!
Old 08-26-2001, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Same problem...

I've got the same door squeek problem. Silicone doesn't work. It drys out too fast. I found that a thin coat of wheel baring grease applied with a paper towel lasts for about two weeks. The driver side doors make this squeek/rattle but the passenger side doors dont'. I think the door is misadjusted on the hinge side. The problem is that I don't think the hinges are adjustable. I think we should both write a letter to Len Hunt. Anyone got his mailing address?
Old 08-26-2001, 07:23 AM
Elder Member

Default Also same problem...

... also on drivers side only, but mine comes and goes. Misalignment of the door may contribute to the problem, but mine is definitely caused by chassis flex.

I once saw a post in the A6 forum (can't find it again with search) that there's some non-obvious seams that need to get the anti-squeak treatment. At the moment, I'm about 3000 miles from my car, but when I get back home next weekend I'll attack it with a very heavy silicone grease. If I find the hidden seams, I'll let you know.
Old 08-26-2001, 09:38 AM

Default Ditto...

However mine exhibited the rattles on BOTH the drivers and passenger side doors. Mike over @ Cunningham Audi adjusted the "door wedges" and applied some form of lubricant. It was not silicone though. It's been two months now with no issues. HOWEVER, over the last month or so, I have acquired the infamous center dash rattle which so many have complained about. Haven't had time to inquire about it yet. It's no where near as annoying as the doors were....

Jim
Old 08-26-2001, 08:38 PM

Default I have the same rattle in my dirver's side back door

I have taken it into the dealership 5 times for this problem. They seem to never be able to pin point the problem. Drives me nuts, if anyone finds out the final solution to this problem please tell all of us about it
Old 08-27-2001, 10:15 AM

Default Re: I have the same rattle in my dirver's side back door

I've noticed a rattle the emminates from the seat belt adjuster mechanism. It's the plastic slide cover that is rubbing as far as I can tell. I intend to put a double sided sticky pad onto the slide cover to seperate the two. Probably not the problem you folks are seeing with your S8s, but I though I'd mention it.
Old 08-30-2001, 10:37 AM

Default Re: S8 rattles

Yeah. Mine has this problem too. I fixed it by putting a 1000 watt Alpine amp and dual Boston Acoustic subs in the trunk. Now I wouldn't even hear a 747 landing on my roof. ;-)
Old 09-01-2001, 11:29 AM
dpd

Default Re: S8 rattles

i have fixed 2 s8's for this problem and both times it has been the window frames.to see if it is the window frames,perform the paper test.take a paper towel or peice of news paper[1 sheet/page] and start by closing the door with the paper at the top center of the frame and pull it out with the door close,when you pull it out it should have a slight drag to it.if not the frame is out of adjustment[all audi's have adjustable window carriers for in/out/side/side].repeat paper test in the the other sides of the frame[left and right]for a total of 3 pulls,usually if the top pull is light to no effort to pull the paper out,the frame is out of adjustment.if it's realy loose you even get a wind noise over 40 mph through the car.