A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sadly gave up the A8...can't deal with the Audi service anymore

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2005, 07:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sadly gave up the A8...can't deal with the Audi service anymore

I don't post often, but wanted to take a moment and thank all of the collective wisdom from this forum that made my '99 A8 ownership so special. I absolutely loved the A8, but I got reamed one too many times by my local Audi dealer, and simply picked up the car, drove it next door to the MB dealer, and traded up for an '04 S500 4matic. So far, I have been treated like a human by MB, which Audi couldn't accomplish in 6 years for me. The MB is a wonderful car, and while I will miss the A8, I don't mind some creature comforts that come with the new addition.
Again, thanks all. By the way, I have a complete set of OEM rims with Nokian Hakka2 tires (4,000 miles on them) for sale. I'll post in the marketplace if anyone is interested.

MDZ
Old 10-30-2005, 08:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default I undertand....

These car are complicated and few people know how to repair them properly. Many are afraid of the A8 becasue they may have to read and understand. The larger issue is the total brain drain that the USA is undergone over the last 20 years. I blame public education. No one know hows to, or is willing to invest the time in fixing anything complicated and thus we now have a disposable society assisted by 10 years of artifically low interest rates.

I've commited to owning an A8 and doing the repairs myself.
Old 10-30-2005, 09:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: I undertand....

ur 99 looks like a NY plate A8 I saw up in Rockport Mass. YOu??
Old 10-31-2005, 03:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default well said...

I too feel exactly the same way and have made a decision to take the necessary steps to keep my A8 going for many years to come. This can be accomplished by many at this site, PW at audipages, the aftermaket marketplace and lastly through the audi dealership. It is a greatcar, it's one that needs someone capable of working on it. It's sad that AoA allows their dealerships to fall far short on customer service and therefore audi ownership/longevity.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:09 AM

sorry to see you go email what you wnat for the rims and tires
Old 10-31-2005, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Do you live in the Rockport area? I'm from Gloucester, but I no longer live there. Sometimes I miss it, sometimes I don't.. I was just back there under a month ago for a few days actually.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Sadly gave up the A8...can't deal with the Audi service anymore

Good luck, Doc. I came from the MB world and I'm done with MB forever. I was treated like bat dung by the local stealers (three of 'em) for the four years prior to my A8. When I got that last $2000 bill for a tune-up (which included over $400 just for the spark plugs) I dumped the car.

The sales guys treated me like visiting royalty -- until the sale was made. Then the service guys take over...

(I think the secret is -- don't take the car to a dealer for service.)
Old 10-31-2005, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, just stop by for a day each summer to go to Bear Claw Neck etc...
Old 10-31-2005, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

I think the entire Audi organization is built around the new customer lease. Used owners rank as low as whale dung. We are the source of profit that can be considered expendible.

INDY mechanics all the way.
Old 10-31-2005, 11:52 AM

I agree with all of you. I don't have the time to work on the car myself, and if there were any indy shop that could take care of me, it would have likely led me to keep the car.

Quick Reply: Sadly gave up the A8...can't deal with the Audi service anymore