A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Since I am still searching for my second gear, I took the damn thing a part twice this weekend.

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2005, 04:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Since I am still searching for my second gear, I took the damn thing a part twice this weekend.

Yesterday I put the old valve body in it, but I still don't have 2nd gear. Maybe some of you remember, that I had a cracked valve body on my old tranny, so I put the old valve body with the good part from the new one. Not good. I still don't have 2nd gear, but when it searches for 2nd , it goes into limp mode and locks all four wheel. Luckily I test drove it on the snow. So today I put back the new valve body, but accidentally I messed up the tranny fluid. There is no way to find Audi fluid on Sunday, so I said it is time to try something else. I switched to Mobil 1 synthetic transmission fluid $5.99. I don't know what happened to my second gear, but other than that the tranny shifts like dream. My hunting is completely gone. I drove it like 30 miles, did all the tricks to make it hunt, 35 mph in 5th gear or shifting up and down, but NOTHING. I drove it on the same road where it is always hunts, but when I take my foot off the rpm only decreases as the car slows down. Even the TC locks seamlessly at 30 mph. I guess I have to drive it more to be certain, but looks like I will use Mobil 1 from now on.
Old 01-23-2005, 04:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interesting....

did you fabricate another gasket for the valve body this time around?
Old 01-23-2005, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default No, this time I put it back without the gasket.

It not hunting now, so I was probably wrong when I though it looses pressure and that is why hunting.
Old 01-23-2005, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Another data point on non-Esso fluid. Very, very interesting.

TSHong is using Redline, I believe. Something synthetic, in any case.
Old 01-23-2005, 07:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default 1 week since limp mode

I got my tranny fluid changed again as the car started going into limp mode exactly six months after the last time. Same thing, get it up on the highway and its cleared. I got it changed two weeks ago, went out of town for a week. Warmed the car up well, turned off and went out of limp mode. I drove from the city to Oak brook, one good day of highway driving and no more limp mode four days and counting. This is what happened last time. I guess I will trade it in while it's not in limp mode. I think I will be stuck with this car for awhile. I love it this weekend as it was absolutely awesome in the snow. I love my car on days like today as it reminds me my I got rid of my 528!
Old 01-23-2005, 07:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Wow, maybe 2nd gear will wake up!
Old 01-23-2005, 07:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

If you trade for another, hope you can take your navi with you!
Old 01-24-2005, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Another data point on non-Esso fluid. Very, very interesting.

.. even non-synth too. Pennzoil Mutli Vehicle ATF!
Old 01-24-2005, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Who was it that said ZF told him the deal with this was ...

that the trouble with using unapproved transmission fluids is that there is a possibility of the fluid being chemically incompatible with the wear surfaces (clutches) .. effectively dissolving them within 100 miles of use.

Am I remembering this correctly?

Anyway, that's WORST case. The OEM simply can not (or will not) test every tranny fluid out there with their gearboxes, and thus chooses one (or a few) to "approve" .. it's a crap shoot if you use any others.

Could be perfectly fine, and could dissolve the transmission's innards.
Old 01-24-2005, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who's running that? You?

Quick Reply: Since I am still searching for my second gear, I took the damn thing a part twice this weekend.