A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slipping & sliding on ICY road

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Slipping & sliding on ICY road

Hello all,
I went to the mountain again last weekend. It was so embarrassed that the A8 slip and slid to the side of the road. All wheels were spining and the car didn't even move.
I didn't have chains so a few people helped me to push the car out to get it moving. That was totally scary. The brake pedal didn't pulsate at all while the wheels locked and slid away. This is the first time I experienced the totally icy road.
I hope nothing is wrong with the ABS or the trannie. The car is still solid with snow covered roads and wet surface. I drive extremely slowly now down hill on snowy road. What's the best speed on down hill and icy road? 20, 15, 10?
I'm doing 10-15 now, not 20-30 any more. I'm totally scared... :-)
Darn, truly, Californian can't drive in the snow even with the A8.... hahahahahaha.
Old 01-17-2006, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default It is all about tires.

The last time we had snow in Chicago, I was going 55-60 mph on 5" snow enjoying my new tires and a 740 BMW was behind me all the time. You can go safely if you have good tires even with 2 wheel drive.
Old 01-17-2006, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2nd that ... snow tires and a good alignment will work wonders!
Old 01-17-2006, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

as others said, with proper winter tires the car would be transformed completely!
Old 01-17-2006, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default It's all in the tires!

If you frequent areas with snow/ice conditions, such as going to the mountains on occasion, it is well worthwhile to spring for a set of Blizzak's, etc. Even here in Wisconsin, I realistically only rely on the Blizzaks a handful of days through the 5 months of wintery weather we have here. BUT - it's those 5-10 days when they are worth their weight in gold. Good Luck!

Scott in WI
Old 01-17-2006, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Michelin Pilot Sport A/S don't cut it, do they?

I'm driving with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S. My concern is that when you brake in emergency, do good tires got locked up on the icy road? Was it my ABS or my tires fault or me, the driver who didn't pump the brake pedal many times? I can drive in the snow with no problem, just at this panic down hill brake.

Thanks guys, I need to practice more. I'm going again in February.
Old 01-17-2006, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Nothing beats a good snow tire in the snow

but your question is more about the ABS right? I noticed mine lock up "late" compared to my other Audi's and to other manufactuers.

Next time your in a good snow covered parking lot with plenty of room give it a test run. Any speed over 20 and put the brakes to the floor. The pedal should vibrate pretty good under foot.

USE CAUTION and good luck. (Don't forget your seat belt ect...)
Old 01-17-2006, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 87 Likes on 77 Posts

Pilot sports in the snow? Cheaper to rent a car for the trip than wreck the A8.
Old 01-17-2006, 03:59 PM

Default i'd also have the ABS checked.

If you are saying that the pedal did not pulse at all may mean one of two things: 1- ABS is not working (have it checked), or 2- is is working, and you may not notice the pulse.

Question- did you have a car prior to this that had a louder, more "pulsing" brake than this one? My last car was like that- it gave much more feedback than my S8, but the Audi's did work- i just did not expect a softer response.

The fact that you may have little or no traction (replace tires?) should mean that the ABS should be pulsating at a "lighter" touch on the pedal. You should not have to pump the brakes, just test it, as metioned below, in a clear parking lot. just press the pedal hard to see if you get any kind of pulse.

I have summer high performance tires, and i did not get my winters on prior to the first snowfall here in iowa. I came up to an intersection, and the slightest touch of the brakes engaged the ABS, because i had no traction. That very night when i went down to Goodyear for them to install my winter tires, i came though that very intersection, and had to push harder in order for the ABS to engage. Why? Because i had more traction.

Hope this helps- Good luck.

Steve
Old 01-17-2006, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: i'd also have the ABS checked.

Steve,
Yes, I noticed when the road had more traction, I can feel the ABS pulsating when I brake, but in this icy road case, I felt nothing, soft feel and the car start to slide. I think everyone is correct, the tires are not made to go on icy roads.
I feel much better now. I don't think the ABS is bad, it just when I panic, I brake hard on the icy road, the tires and the road caused the wheel to lock up and slid down hill.
I actually slip when I got out of the car, it was that slipery with snow boots on.

Thanks,

Quick Reply: Slipping & sliding on ICY road