A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So it appears it's a wiring problem or F125 switch problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default From ELSA

TCM backup functions
If one or more of the system components or sensors fails, the Transmission Control Module (TCM) -J217- switches to a corresponding back-up mode, or emergency running program. This enables the automatic transmission to continue operating without becoming damaged, but will affect the operation and smoothness of the gearshifts accordingly.
If a critical fault occurs and Transmission Control Module (TCM) -J217- is active, the gear which is currently selected will initially be maintained. As soon as it is safe to do so (i.e. without damaging the transmission or
affecting driving), Transmission Control Module (TCM) -J217- will switch to the "Mechanical backup with active control unit".
Mechanical backup with active control unit
Transmission shifts out of whichever of the forward gears is engaged and selects hydraulic 4th gear.
Torque converter clutch is released. No electrical signals to solenoid valves.
Maximum shift pressure applied to power-transmitting components.
Reverse gear can be engaged. Selector lever lock (in positions P and N) is active.
All segments of the gear display light up together.
The Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) is switched on after 2 Dcy.
Check DTC memory => page 01-40, and consult DTC table => page 01-42.
If Transmission Control Module (TCM) -J217- fails (e.g. if the power supply fails or the connector becomes detached), the transmission will immediately switch to "Mechanical backup with active control module" and continue to operate.
Mechanical backup with inactive control unit
Transmission shifts out of whichever of the forward gears is engaged and selects hydraulic 4th gear. Torque converter clutch is released. No electrical signals to solenoid valves.
Maximum shift pressure applied to power-transmitting components.
Reverse gear can be engaged. Selector lever lock (in positions P and N) is inactive.
All segments of the gear display remain dark.
Transmission Control Module (TCM) - J217- is not functioning, i.e. it cannot be interrogated via self-diagnosis.
The Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) is switched on when the Engine Control Module (ECM) recognizes the CAN-Bus malfunction (missing data exchange between the ECM and TCM) after 2 Dcy.
If necessary, check DTC memory of ECM => Repair Manual, 3.7 &4.2 Liter V8 4V Fuel Injection & Ignition, Repair
Group 01.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

I already disconnected the TCU and everything works as described
Old 09-29-2008, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Can you perform 2 Drive cycles?

According to that you should be able to pickup a code after 2 driveing cycles
Old 09-29-2008, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you hit the nail on the head!!
Old 09-29-2008, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Damn

However, when I dropped the car off it had 0 miles until empty!
Old 09-29-2008, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

oh I was tooooootally kidding! car looks great btw (tho for 350beans it'd better wipe my.....)
Old 09-29-2008, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: oh I was tooooootally kidding! car looks great btw (tho for 350beans it'd better wipe my.....)

That's not bad.. just got a quote for $750 and up.... those federal reserve guys made the dollar worth less than the paper is printed on.
Old 09-29-2008, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The car looks great, better than a mirror!
Old 09-29-2008, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I LOL'd, then I cried. :-/
Old 09-29-2008, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default VAG-COM is your friend

So I just went back in the garage after looking at the Bently and you can monitor the position of the F125 switch via measuring blocks display group 4.

If you are in Park, it should show P, Reverse, show R, etc.

When it's between gears on the shifter it should not light up any of the letters and show other switch positions such as:

Between Park and Reverse or Reverse and Neutral: Z1 (I can't get this to ever show)

Between Neutral and Drive: Z2 (Can't get this to come on, it finally goes from N to Z3)

Between Drive and Sport: Z3 (this comes on as soon as it it is put into drive down through sport)

Then once I go just below sport (4 on my shifter), I can get it to engage S as seen on the dash and on vag-com.

After sitting in the car for a while and going back and forth through the gears, it would shift into reverse, but never indicate Z1 or Z2.

I took pictures but will post them later, it's very cool. I think the next no brainer item is to see if the cable adjustment is correct.

Quick Reply: So it appears it's a wiring problem or F125 switch problem