A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So my car's still @ the shop and apparently needs a motor mount. This typical for 104k?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So my car's still @ the shop and apparently needs a motor mount. This typical for 104k?

Not that I care, it IS one of the things covered under warranty, but just querious. They said it was split in 1/2. Nice.

They're also doing an MAF and a LF 02. Bruce M. says his MAF died too @ ~ 75k. Sounds premature to me in both our cases. I was worried mine was result of K&N install but his going too comforts me there a bit.

Some sort of radiator fan bushing as well, doubt covered. They found all this whilst in doing the f'n tbelt that some shop f'd up when the PO had it - pinched a lower cover clip and it serrated the belt and f'd up 2 idlers. Nice - THAT one's on *my* back of course. Yay me! That was the "whirring" noise I was getting up front back a few weeks ago when I posted inquiring about fan clutch costs. F'n good thing I got it in there, the belt was 1/3 gone - coulda been a 40v f'n <<<NIGHTMARE>>>... Oy vey!

Bueller on the motor mount / MAF?
Old 05-08-2007, 12:44 PM

Motor mount couldn't be your driving could it?
Old 05-08-2007, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default i have a SPLIT motor mount sitting around somewhere too! haah...

i have 84K on my 98 and my front motor mount was literally split in half. the mechanic said when he unbolted it it fell out in 2 pieces.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Good catch on the timing belt shredding

It would get awfully expensive playing guess which valves are bent when the deck has 40, I pity the poor bastard who gets dealt into that game. Good catch on that one!
Old 05-08-2007, 09:32 PM

Default I understand that 5K of JNR miles = 125K NYC Taxi fleet miles : ) ...

ahh, but we must assume your "results are not typical" & "results represent less than 1% of the sample demographic."

Not too surprised about the motor mount failure, but the MAF has me puzzled. I would agree that Bruce M's similar failure at lower miles points away from the over oiled K&N MAF blowing syndrome.

On the bright side - glad you caught the T-belt in time! That would've really sucked the big one.

Mark F
Old 05-09-2007, 04:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default bwHA! Er... that's alleged.

Tho, that's a great analogy!!! Quite possibly quite accurate.

Not sure how my driving would split a motor mount. I do try to not "snap" off the throttle when backing off in a particular gear tho it does sometimes occur I suppose.

I didn't oil the K&N simply installed a new one as is. Figured the "sucking oil onto the hotwire" syndrome was more an issue in forced induction cars. Hoping so.

Yeah, dodged the tbelt failure fersure. I woulda rather the previous wrench not f'd it up in the first place however. D'oh.
Old 05-09-2007, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default After I put my milltek on , I have some vibration issues, been wondering if its the motor mount.

I'll have em take a look when I take it in shortly for an oil change..
Old 05-09-2007, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default i've got 3 1/2 years on a k&n with 0 problems. When re-oiling just make sure ....

to dab it with a rag and of course, don't over oil it! Some people out there soak the hell out of it and put the thing in the airbox dripping wet. After cleaning it, the oil coating should turn the filter to a light pink with an even color throughout. I also have a k&n on my wife's 04 Passat with 0 problems as well.
Old 05-09-2007, 01:11 PM

Default Regarding the motor mount failure....

I was thinking along the lines of heat and/or contamination by oil, antifreeze, (home brew?), etc. I'm sure your gas pedal gets the velvet hammer treatment, so no slur on technique implied. And we can't prove abuse by G force....

Mark F
Old 05-10-2007, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Is that on your 01 S8?

Quick Reply: So my car's still @ the shop and apparently needs a motor mount. This typical for 104k?