A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering wheel wiring termination

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2021, 03:17 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Steering wheel wiring termination

Hi guys,

My horn isn't working, and now I am stuck at the steering wheel connectors.

So, previous owner installed a newer steering wheel, an A3 one, so I suspected the fault to lie somewhere here, only to remove the airbag and find one connector disconnected!
Seems like whoever installed it did a half-assed job, first of all its a dual stage airbag, so only one is connected. No airbag light luckily. And the second connector has just been ignored.

Clockspring and harness is original from what I can find. The harness has two connectors, one 2pin for the airbag and one 3pin connector for horn and something else I assume..
I really need help figuring out what these three pins are so that I can connect them to the newer wheel. Any termination, pinning or schematic would be appreciated. I only really need the two (?) wires for the horn circuit, but now I am very curious as to what the third wire is as well!

Harness is 8Z0 971 589 B, but I don't know if the termination is similar for all car models. This is for a 2000 A8 2.8q

I also attached a picture showing the rear of the airbag and it's connectors. There are two spade connectors for the horn button it looks like; it shouldn't really matter which one I connect where? But first I need to know what to wire!

Harness connector to clockspring

Harness

Air bag and the two free spade connectors for horn (?)

Connector in question

Harness