A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Still fighting the CEL and misfire...and I almost set the car on fire lastnight.

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 04:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Still fighting the CEL and misfire...and I almost set the car on fire lastnight.

To recap: The CEL keeps coming on, flashing at times, idles rough, and things generally suck.

Engine codes state that there's a misfire in cylinder 1, random multiple misfire, and sometimes a lean condition on bank 1.

-o2 sensors were replaced <2 months ago.
-swapped POS's = same code (cylinder 1)
-swapped coilpacks = same code (cylinder 1
-currently running seafoam through the tank.
-changed the spark plugs lasnight...then things got dangerous....

I found Bosch +4's in the engine. They appeared to have been in there for a while, but didn't have any telltale signs of rich or lean conditions. (black around the ring, golden brown on the tabs) There were no signs of cracked boots either.

I've heard terrible things about these plugs running too hot, so I went to the local NAPA for different plugs. The guy behind the counter showed be on his computer that OE plugs for this car were Champions. I called BS, but he had no other plugs (other than +4's listed for Bosch) - So I opted for some NGK platinums and I headed back to the garage.

I finished installing the new plugs, put the engine covers back on and fired the engine with the hood up. I noticed that the CEL immediately turned off. I sat in the driver's seat for a minute or so feeling the smooth idle and relishing the thought of a job well done.

Then.....****.

Smoke from the rear passenger side of the engine bay...I shut the engine off, grabbed a drop light and went about some inspecting. I immediately recognized the smell of raw fuel, then saw clear liquid dripping from under the engine cover directly onto the exhaust manifold. Okay, that's gotta be really bad.

After removing the engine cover again, I found that the crimp on the high pressure side fuel line had failed, and it was spraying all over the place.

It was 12:30am at this point. I immediately jumped on here and began searching. I came across PaulW's post from a few days ago, and all was well. I chose the "2nd" procedure, and fixed the problem right up.

I don't even want to think what may have happened if I had just closed the hood and gone for a late night cruise.

Even after all that, the damn CEL came back on this morning and the friggin misfire is back in force.

I am at such a loss at this point as to what the problem could be....<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/a8/msgs/151982.phtml">https://forums.audiworld.com/a8/msgs/151982.phtml</a</li></ul>
Old 12-22-2007, 05:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You should have got the flashing light when testing the output stage -so

check that again and if not then it may well be a faulty ecu or wire between ecu and the final output stage for #1.
try the output test for the injectors one by one and check the resistance on #1
the output test requires that you click the button and then open the throttle slightly -you should hear 5 clicks.
I think the resistance accross the injector should be 15 to 17
Old 12-23-2007, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Still fighting the CEL and misfire...and I almost set the car on fire lastnight.

Well, If it doesn't move with the ignition, then fuel delivery or compression. Fuel filter clogged, Fuel pump dying,(sorry the leak didn't fix it), fuel pressure regulator not holding pressure on the rail (leaking diaphram) or bad/clogged injector.

Or you've got a slipping timing belt or tensioner(retarded cam timing) or a blown headgasket...or so the logic goes. I doubt it very much.

I would look up the classic symptoms of a dying fuel pump and see what you find, I'm thinking that lower pump output is causing your lean reading. Pumps on this car die at 115K plus or minus 10K.

Look at the bright side, if it is the pump, it will soon fail entirely.
Old 12-23-2007, 04:47 PM

Default Is there any chance that the TPS could be having some effect on this problem..

The trans gear-searches really bad once warmed up.

How could a failing fuel pump cause a misfire primarily on one cylinder?

Once the car is warmed up, it seems that it runs better. But, until it gets up to temp, it idles very rough, and I have to turn the ignition off and back on again to reset whatever the 02 sensors are reading.

How often do the ECU's fail on these? I imagine that would be spendy replacement.