A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sudden sound solved long standing vibration

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 05:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sudden sound solved long standing vibration

So monday morning I was doing the normal drive for coffee. When I suddenly get this strange sound, something like when as a kid you put a baseball card by the spokes on your bike but only ten times louder. I drive home but notice upon arrival the sound does not happen when going in reverse. I did notice that the sound was coming from the back of the car too. I raised the drivers side rear wheel and rotate it in the forward direction - nothing. I then did the same to the passengers side and get my mysterious sound in the forward rotation not the reverse direction. I went under the car while I had someone rotate the passengers wheel again. What I found was when the passengers side wheel was rotated the drive shaft rotated too. That was when I noticed a bracket hanging down from where the drive shaft meets the final drive. Turns out that one of the six bolt holding the baseplate was missing and that the baseplate braket would hit the drive shaft tunnel housing through centrifical force. I then check the remaining bolts and noticed ALL remaining five bolts were very loose too. I went to VW, since the local Audi parts guy said it is a universal bolt to vw too. Since changing/tightening these dolts I solved an annoying vibration I had for the longest time.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Since changing/tightening these dolts..." Nice Freudian Slip there