A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Technical Help needed in Buffalo Grove area!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2003, 05:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Technical Help needed in Buffalo Grove area!

Anybody with a VAG COM in my area? I know there is somebody and the A8 forum is my last bastion before I am tempted to run off and trade my A6 in for a Honda! I bite my tongue of course, but it is simply so frusterating. I refilled my car tonight with over 30 dollars in premium gas, and guess what the ungrateful old girl did, she barely started, lights dimmed and then she was running fine, except for my old nemesis, the CEL. Cross check the A6 forum for my debacle with the bose system, but so beautiful and wonderful as this car is, I need something reliable so I can focus on more important things than if my car will be running everyday. Anyone willing to help me out by pulling a code, hopefully ist's something simple on startup like some vaccum hose or the like. I keep my engine bay spotless so if I need to delve into it a bit, it should be a pumice free clean-up. My 1998 has over 80k miles on her and I still have 4 years untill she is paid off at 12% intrest. Trading down seems very tempting sadly!
Old 05-16-2003, 06:21 PM

Default That yellow CEL light arises so many bad feelings in me. No other dime size light could be so aweful

as that one. I curse its hold over me. I must know what it means. As I just filled up with gas, I have no money for a com machine of my own, besides, I would not know what any of the codes mean once I pull them. Please pray for me or help me!
Old 05-16-2003, 07:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts
Default It sounds like you have a bad battery or ground connection

Don't fret little chicken, you'll figure it out.

I don't think I'll be available tomorrow, but if you want to swing by sometime on Sunday morning, I could probably do it for you.

pw
Old 05-16-2003, 07:07 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Check your battery electolyte level

I don't think techs check it sometimes.
Old 05-16-2003, 07:57 PM

Default I am not convinced it is the battery. I would be very happy if it were.

Unfortunatley, I do have to work on Sunday morning. Is there any other time you are available in the near future? I may even want to take you up on that recode offer, if you would be so kind
Old 05-17-2003, 05:05 AM
KMU

Agree. Sounds like dropping a cell in the battery under load.
Old 05-17-2003, 11:18 AM

Dropping a cell? That's not something I am familar with. Can I fix it, or should I order a new bat?
Old 05-17-2003, 03:50 PM
KMU

Default What I would do.

Assuming the alternator output is correct and connections are good, a new battery sounds like the ticket. Also ck acid level in battery as mentioned.(if it's not the sealed type.)
Old 05-17-2003, 04:44 PM

Default It is not the sealed type. I put on my goggles and gloves and looked in the 6 holes

I am not sure what I was looking for though. The battery is an Audi "60 month battery". It was installed in October 2001. Should I bring just the battery into the dealership. I do not trust them with the whole car. (Schaumburg Audi) Would they replace the battery?
Old 05-18-2003, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts
Default I would troubleshoot it before I replaced anything

If you battery has a bad cell, the battery voltage levels should be less than 10 VDC when the car is shut off.

But be careful, if the charging system has a problem with it, or even if there is a bad ground, you could have the same symptoms as above.

I'm not a big fan of replacing anything until I have verified it bad. Usually you replace things that don't need replacing if you don't troubleshoot first.

Quick Reply: Technical Help needed in Buffalo Grove area!