A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Theories on changing ALL the ATF?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2004, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Theories on changing ALL the ATF?

Would the old fassioned cooler lines work on changing the tranny fluid completley.. my tranny is shiddering and i think its because im either low on fluid or the thing is ready to drop..

I have a hunch that if i flush everything out this might be enough to clean out some garbage and get a few more months out of this thing.. at 80 bucks a case you cant go wrong.

I recently had my filter changed so thats clean i would hope.. if its that easy as using the cooler lines like my mechanic said then ill do it right now..
Old 01-24-2004, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I can't remember anyone doing a cooler line flush with this car.

With the filter change, you get 7 liters out of what? 10 or 12? And you've presumably changed the fluid once.

I'd go for a drain and refill, not even drop the pan again. Twice if you're really "going for it", about a week apart.
Old 01-24-2004, 08:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: I can't remember anyone doing a cooler line flush with this car.

The only way to properly change transmission fluid is with a power flush! It takes out all the used fluid and replaces it with the exact same amount of new fluid - no mixing and dilution you would have with several successive partial exchanges.
Old 01-24-2004, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default OK - I wouldn't dispute your statement at all.

But it doesn't change the accuracy of mine. You know anyone set up to do a flush like that, on these cars? Hell, you have to twist many dealer's arms to do a transmission service at all.
Old 01-24-2004, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
Default No mixing or dilituing? I don't know how it could do that

First, there is oil all over the inside of the tranny. It's in hydraulic passageways that are locked by deenergized solenoids, etc.

And depending on where the supply and return lines are for the tranny cooler, who knows if it will take a suction on the pan?

Or do you do this with the car running? If so, it would most definitely mix with the existing fluid.

How do you know how much you have in there? You can meausre how much you take out, and measure how much you put back in, but you'll never do a 1 for 1 change out. At best there would be at least 5% mixing I would guess.

For Jack, it would probably be just as effective to do a drain and fill.

pw
Old 01-24-2004, 11:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Before anyhting is done..

I am going to my audi dealership they are getting very aggressive on the dealer that botched my trans.. so far AOA will drop repair costs down to $4500 from $9000. Now S&N audi is going to help me get as much as possible paid by the other dealership.. they said i might only need to shell out $1000 at worst. If thats the case then ill do it, i didnt buy this car to modify it put a pc in it and get new tires and never take it out of my garage since this happened.
Old 01-24-2004, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Yes, the flush is done with the car running.

It does change the fluid 1 to 1. You have to make sure the fluid level is correct before the flush.
Old 01-24-2004, 01:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Sounds a little risky without checking the fluid level per procedure afterwards

How could it not mix with the fluid in torque converter? It would.

Therefore, you would need to run it longer than just a 100% change out.

And I would never do this without checking the level via the fill plug per the Bently after complete. If not, you'd be setting yourself up for a big one!

If you have to drop the pan anyways to do the filter, then you have to fill it up with new fluid to get to minimum level before starting it, then add another 4 quarts before full after the car is running.....does it really make sense?

pw
Old 01-24-2004, 02:40 PM

Sounds like you got a quick response from your letter! Congradulations! eom.
Old 01-24-2004, 03:07 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Agreed. I see no need for the complexity of taking lines loose.

Quick Reply: Theories on changing ALL the ATF?