A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there a fuse to the Engine Check Light, Brake Light and ABS light?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there a fuse to the Engine Check Light, Brake Light and ABS light?

I plan to drive my 97 A8 till it dies, but right not the Engine Check Light and Brake Light and ABS lights are on but there is nothing wrong with the brake.

Is there a way to turn off these bulbs by means of diconnecting a fuse?
Old 06-27-2010, 03:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The brake light could be a bad switch on the parking brake lever.

If you haven't hooked a scan tool up to check the other lights, you need to.

There is no fuse that will target those specific lights...they should all be part of one big printed circuit.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same Problem

Hello,

I was going through the forums for this exact problem. I own a 99 A8Q and my Brake and ABS light are also on. When I try to hook my scanner up to the brake system, it comes back as link error. Every other system I scan works ok, but the brake/ABS system will not let me scan it. I was told that when that happens, it usually is a fuse in that system. Your thoughts?

Thanks,
Gary

Originally Posted by silverd2
The brake light could be a bad switch on the parking brake lever.

If you haven't hooked a scan tool up to check the other lights, you need to.

There is no fuse that will target those specific lights...they should all be part of one big printed circuit.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ggjoy
Hello,

I was going through the forums for this exact problem. I own a 99 A8Q and my Brake and ABS light are also on. When I try to hook my scanner up to the brake system, it comes back as link error. Every other system I scan works ok, but the brake/ABS system will not let me scan it. I was told that when that happens, it usually is a fuse in that system. Your thoughts?

Thanks,
Gary
That's a sure sign of the ABS control module being bad. They all go bad eventually. Crap solder points. If you cant connect to the module, and the Big red wire at the abs module is hot, and the brown larger wire has ground. The module is bad.
Old 03-04-2012, 02:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ggjoy
Hello,

Thanks,
Gary
Got your message and thought I'd post what little I know here.

There is a fuse for the ABS (including power to the module)...it's 50 amp fuse in the trunk, above the battery...should be #2, bottom left in that fuse panel.

Another thing...and it's a matter of terminology:

Under the hood is the ABS hydraulic unit with, as I think you know, the electrical connections that are problem prone with the solder connections. Although it is common to call it that, that is NOT the actual ABS control module that Vagcom communicates with..it can hinder communication, as can that module's connection with the ECM (if all else fails, always worth checking electronics box in fresh air plenum, for moisture and/or corroded connections).

Anyway, the ABS control module (as Audi refers to it) is inside the car, under the dash, up above the pedals. If fuse is good in the trunk, it's worth looking at connections there, too. It is rare to have a actual control module failure.

The most common failures in ABS are wheel speed sensors (dirty, wiring shorts) and the solder connections on the hydraulic unit ...other failures are not common.

Last edited by silverd2; 03-04-2012 at 02:05 PM.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by silverd2
Got your message and thought I'd post what little I know here.

Under the hood is the ABS hydraulic unit with, as I think you know, the electrical connections that are problem prone with the solder connections. Although it is common to call it that, that is NOT the actual ABS control module that Vagcom communicates with..it can hinder communication, as can that module's connection with the ECM (if all else fails, always worth checking electronics box in fresh air plenum, for moisture and/or corroded connections).
Thats so strange that the A8 has a seperate control module, Thats not how it is for Passat, A4, A6, TT, Jetta, Beetle, golf. I did look on alldata, sure enough A8 has the module under the dash.