A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about trading my Honda in for a '01 S8...have I gone mad?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 03:52 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about trading my Honda in for a '01 S8...have I gone mad?

hi guys.

Not quite a regular here, but joined to read about Audi's every now and then...because eventually, I'd like to own a D2 S8!

And recently, I stumbled upon a supposed one-owner 01 model with only 69,700 miles on the clock...and by the looks of it, it could be one.

I haven't seen the car yet, but I am entertaining the idea of possibly trading in my '11 honda for it.

Have I gone mad? Or does this seem reasonable?

The two biggest concerns I have for the S8 is the transmission (I had a 5HP24 equipped Jaguar, and it did not bode well at all). But I've read the 5HP24 in the S8's application is pretty strong, even when compared to the A6 4.2 and the standard A8.

The other is the timing belt, which I would get done immediately and unequivocally should I actually get the car.

This would be my fourth German car, and fifth European overall (three Benzes, 1994, 1975, and 2009, a 1999 VW and a 2002 Jaguar), so I'm well aware of their running costs and I can pretty much wrench my way through maintenance, short of doing something major like the timing belt or removing major parts like the engine and trans.

And overall, so far from what I'm reading, the D2 S8 is a really well built car that's built to last...if that's the case, as with my 1994 Mercedes, then I think I might actually go for it.

Should I actually check this car out?

Please chime in, any and all pointers welcome!
Old 09-25-2014, 12:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just ventured into the audi world with an 01 S8 so maybe my experiences will be relevant to you.

I'll tell you straight out that you're insane. DON'T buy this car if you actually need it. It's a terrible choice. There are way more economical/reliable cars out there (your honda for one). Buy it because you want the experience of sitting in it, and because it's totally fine with your boss if you don't make it into work sometimes because it breaks down

all around this is one heck of a car. I just recently got good enough to accelerate normally without snapping my neck back. It's super torquey, very tight, nice to sit in, and looks sexy as hell... it turns more heads than my beemer (and that car's plasti-dipped white.)

I've only owned european cars. 2 volvos, an MGB, e46 3 series, then this guy. Honestly this car is pretty intimidating but I'm finding it just as easy to work on as the volvos - nowhere near as serviceable as the BMW, but not a lot of cars are. It's intelligently designed and laid out. The engineering is very logical -- even if the engine position is a bit of a compromise (why can't you just bolt a diff to the front of the oil pan like BMW does!!!) the suspension handles the weight very well.

It's actually cheaper than I've expected it to be so far, but plan on having to drop $1500 on it a few times a year -- I'm 1 month into ownership and I've spent about $2k on it (including tires, but still...)

Mine is about to cross 160k and the engine & transmission seem to be in pretty good shape. I had one of the cams out & it showed almost no wear on the bearings which is pretty impressive. There's a lot of people around with high-mileage S8s, they'll definitely go a while if maintained properly
Old 09-25-2014, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by chinny4290

The two biggest concerns I have for the S8 is the transmission (I had a 5HP24 equipped Jaguar, and it did not bode well at all). But I've read the 5HP24 in the S8's application is pretty strong, even when compared to the A6 4.2 and the standard A8.
Exactly the same trans as standard A8...same parts and individual gear ratios, but with lower final drive ratio on the front and middle diffs.