A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For those with the Audi phone, any trouble getting MMI to recognize the phone in cradle?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2003, 05:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For those with the Audi phone, any trouble getting MMI to recognize the phone in cradle?

I just received the phone today. I had it activated at Verizon, then plugged it in. NOTHING. It continues to use OnStar for calls. I tried the fuses, reinstalling the cradle, giggling the phone, etc. I also noticed with my old V60 that the system never recongnized it either. I thought this was normal, eventhough others have reported that they could use their non-Audi phones in the cradle. Any suggestions before I have to trek back to the dealer?
Old 10-13-2003, 05:50 PM
GSR
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: For those with the Audi phone, any trouble getting MMI to recognize the phone in cradle?

I assume you're talking about an '04 A8L. If so, I had the same experience in trying the phone in my dealer's parking lot. Maybe there's some special incantation that's required, but based on my 5-minute experiment (observed by someone from the parts department) I returned my phone with no questions asked. I believe others posting on this forum have gotten the phone to work, but I don't know what's been necessary to do that. I do know that no one has been able to achieve full integration of the phone with the MMI (defined as being able to see your address book on the dash screen between the speedo and odo).
Old 10-13-2003, 06:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default This is what I've noticed....

When you first place the phone in the cradle, the handsfree does not immediately run through the V60, rather it uses your Onstar activated phone. It usually takes anywhere from 30-45 seconds for the cradle to recognize that the Audi V60 has been plugged in. Real smooth Audi. Just another annoyance in a poorly integrated component. Still, to this date my only two complaints are that the MMI is not integrated with the phone and that the rear head rests don't go down/remove.

4,000 mi. and running strong. I'll let you know how my 5,000mi service goes.

-P
Old 10-14-2003, 02:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

I guess I'll keep it docked all day to see if it works. Thanks.
Old 10-14-2003, 02:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

I may have to return it as well. Hopefully Potsie's suggestion helps.
Old 10-14-2003, 03:21 AM

Default Here's the "skinny"

I had the same problem. First of all, "On Star" wants to be "your carrier". When I was making phone calls from my Verizon phone; caller ID had a different number appearing on the phone that I was calling. VIOLA! On Star "assigned" a phone number to me without telling me! I had them "remove" this phone number from my car and now my Verizon works perfectly. As far as powering up, turn on the car, wait about 10 seconds and the phone will power up on its own. I am the guy that mounted the phone so I can see it, so I know that it works.
Old 10-14-2003, 03:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default The phone actually worked for 2 phone calls today...

For some reason, it began working. I called using the voice recognition and the V60 showed the calls going through. Then, just as suddenly, it stopped working. I haven't gotten it to work since.
Old 10-14-2003, 03:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Does anyone know....

whether '04 A8L's will be able to retrofit the V60 replacement when available? Has anyone's AUdi Advocate addressed this, or are they stopping at saying that '04 V60 owners are basically screwed?
Old 10-14-2003, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Does anyone know....

MB, wheres my milk? LOL. According to MY advocate(thats Audi`s term)you can take the 13 words AFTER your comma "to the bank"! In other words, "No way Jose", "see ya later alligator" and the all time show stopper "Dont count your V60`s until they`re hatched"! "Hatching" apparently will come with the `05. Sorry for this thread MB. Its probably due to my allergy medicine!! Hope you are well.

greenie 6625

04 A8L silver/saber
Old 10-14-2003, 04:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: The phone actually worked for 2 phone calls today...

It almost sounds like a short or bad connection, connection being wire to wire and not phone to phone!

greenie

04 A8L silver/saber

Quick Reply: For those with the Audi phone, any trouble getting MMI to recognize the phone in cradle?