A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle Position Sensors and Pre Facelift Cars

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Throttle Position Sensors and Pre Facelift Cars

I just can't believe how well my transmission works around town now. It's flawless, absolutely flawless.

Shifts into 5th at 42 MPH, I can then slow down and it can push the car perfectly at 1050 to 1100 RPM.....WOW!

I still have to do highway testing, will see how different it is on the highway as it learns. Won't be doing that until next weekend at the earliest.

Anyway......the pre facelift cars have throttle position sensors located on the throttle body where the face lift cars are drive by wire and throttle position sensors attached to the accelerator pedal in the cabin.

If the TPS is the cause for hunting on the pre facelift car, it would make sense the the face lifts do not experience this because they have a different component input into the TCU.

If for some wild chance that the dropout stops on the highway in the upcoming weeks, I am going to be one happy camper! I already am with the around town experience.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default We can see that, LOL. Good job Paul.

This is what I make out of it. There is a wear or a tired spring in the VB. The TCU couldn't handle it anymore, but with the new TPS it sends different voltage to the TC lockup. Did you logged the TC lockup values before the swap? I wonder what the values is now?
Old 01-28-2007, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Didn't log anything

But from what I remember, the TC was doing exactly what it was told to from the TCU. Just from the testing you and I did.
Old 01-28-2007, 12:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice work
Old 01-28-2007, 03:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Thanks Paul. I'm changing mine out this week to see if it does the same for me. Maybe my wife will..

stop telling me my car's a piece of crap.
Old 01-28-2007, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I found the TPS for $158, best price Ive seen yet. See link below. Search for P/N 0280120431 Bosch

<ul><li><a href="https://www.rockauto.com/dbphp/mfr,BOSCH,EMISSION,5136,THROTTLE+POSITION+SENSOR"> https://www.rockauto.com/dbphp/mfr,BOSCH,EMISSION,5136,THROTTLE+POSITION+SENSOR</a</li></ul>
Old 01-28-2007, 04:25 PM

Group Buy!
Old 01-28-2007, 09:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default If the hunting while coasting from 65 mph goes away, that's a real fix

And if not, something's still up. Something which if fixed would probably not hunt even with your old throttle position sensor.

We'll know which it is in a week or two.

I can understand the TCM locking the clutch sooner if it sees a larger load number from the ECM. I can not understand how any forthcoming ECM self-adaptation to the new sensor would help the improvement last, or excuse or ameliorate the behavior you saw when coasting from 65 mph. Sorry I don't think the TPS will turn out to be a fundamental fix -- but I acknowledge that I could lack imagination concerning how these things work.

Tom
Old 01-29-2007, 04:17 AM

Default So do you think

changing the TPS alone will solve the problem(s)? Or, is your new TPS only helping because of the other work you've done in the past? If the TPS is the solution, I propose we all chip in to cover the cost of the other repairs you've tried over the years!

Jeff
Old 01-29-2007, 04:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I am thinking it's a load signal problem

I did drive 1 mile on the highway yesterday, it still dropped out of lockout....

When I get back, I'm going to research the other part of the load signal, I know the engine has a load signal, but don't know how it's calculated.

Tom, the hunting is fixed, that's for sure. After all the input you have given, looking at how the TC works on rental cars, and finally understanding it all, it works exactly as designed now.

Now to tackle the dropout at highway speeds.

Quick Reply: Throttle Position Sensors and Pre Facelift Cars