A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time for Brakes!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 07:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time for Brakes!

My '01 A8L is telling me int's time for brakes! I plan on replacing pads all around using Paul Waterloo's great instructions at auidpages.com...I have a few questions!

The Audi/VW shop that I'm going to says "You can't really get the rotors turned because they're thin to begin with. Better to just replace them". Is this really the case or do I just need to see if they're in spec when I get them off?

Is there a way to quickly tell if I have a 1 pad or 2 pad caliper in the front?

Any suggestions on replacement pads (and rotors if I have to go there)? I was looking at Advance Auto Parts' website and see there are a multitude of options (from ceramic pads around $70 to good old cheapies)?

Thanks in advance!
Dave
Old 08-16-2010, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

It doesn't take much to hit the wear limit on rotors. Officially it's just 1mm on each side (of rotor)...2mm thinner than new rotor, total. The lip formed on the outer rim of the rotor is a good indicator. How many miles on your rotors?

If you like the way your brakes have performed in the past and aren't a road racer, I'd think about sticking with same or similar to OEM. I have the same year car and am very happy with OEM. Sometimes exotic "high performance" pads can have unpleasant side effects that racers don't mind (or "accept")...noise, heavier wear, etc...

I never buy replacement parts for my car from Advance, Autozone or the like...only general maintenance stuff...oil, cleaners, etc.

Here's a link to one place I've dealt with (there are others), directly to the page with the front set likely for your car (probably the "4-pad per caliper fronts" type). Look in the text...they have a link to their page that helps you identify your specific brakes.

http://www.blauparts.com/proddetail....od=D2B1120%2DA

Last edited by silverd2; 08-16-2010 at 12:20 PM.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:36 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

The easiest way to see what brake pad combination your have really is to simply look at it. Take a wheel off and check your pad configuration for 2 or 4 pad combination (keep in mind 2 or 4 pad combination refers to the total per a corner). We have a great selection of rotor manufacturer and styles available. From plain, slotted, drilled and even anti-corrosion coatings as well.

For brake pads, we also have a wide selection. If you are looking for an amazing aftermarket pad then I would highly suggest Hawk HPS pads. They stop fantastic and are extremely low dusting. If you are just looking for OEM replacements we carry something like a PBR deluxe pad.

If you are in the market for brakes, definitely check us out. Click here for D2 A8 brake options. You can also post a reply here or PM me, I'd be happy to work with you on a perfect setup for your needs. We have plenty of braking options on sale right now too, rotors up to 26% off.

Phone: 1.800.924.5172 - Sales: 8:30am to MIDNIGHT EST | Customer Service 8:30am - 8pm EST
Questions? PM us for a quick response! | Email: Pete@ecstuning.com
Old 08-17-2010, 01:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the feedback guys! I gave one of the front rotors a little tickle yesterday and there's certainly a lip from the wear, although there's no pulsating when braking at any intensity (which probably means I'll need to get new rotors). Looks like I'm taking a wheel off this weekend!

I'm thinking I'll replace the fronts first and then tackle the rear.

While I'm not looking to go super cheap, I'm also not looking to spend a fortune.
Old 08-17-2010, 02:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I assume you've gotten the brake pad warning light on your display?

Although it's probably correct, false warnings (bad sensor elec connection) are possible. If the pad material on the fronts look around 3mm or less, it's correct and time.
But the front and rear don't necessarily wear at the same rate (and often don't...with braking momentum shifting forward, fronts do more work in general) and rears don't have sensors on your model. So really look at the rears...they might have a lot left on em, but you'll need to watch em. I've had cars that I changed the rears once during the same interval as 2 front changes.

As for the ABS not kicking in (if that's what you mean by pulsating), even thin pads should grab well enough to trigger ABS. Where safe, a good slam of the brakes on wet road or gravel is a good test.

OEM types are usually mid-priced but not cheap...super cheap often don't have adequate anti-squeal coatings on the piston side of pads and are made of heavy dusting material.

Last edited by silverd2; 08-17-2010 at 02:51 PM.
Old 08-18-2010, 07:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks more detailed info silver! My comment regarding the pulsating brakes (or lack thereof) was meant to convey I don't have warped rotors. The ABS is working just fine! Good points on the rear...I'll check those out this weekend before assuming they too need to be replaced.

Chris, I'll be sending you a pm to see what we can work out after this weekend (when I'm planning to take off a wheel and figure out what exactly it is that I have).

So far, it looks like I'll be deciding between ECS and Blauparts kits!
Old 08-18-2010, 09:23 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Sounds good, I'm happy to work with you. I'm here Mon-Fri so if you don't get a reply right away I will get to you 1st thing Monday.
Phone: 1.800.924.5172 - Sales: 8:30am to MIDNIGHT EST | Customer Service 8:30am - 8pm EST
Old 08-30-2010, 05:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I finally got around to taking the wheel off and I took some pictures! You can see them (hopefully) on my Picasa link below:

http://picasaweb.google.com/captdave...eat=directlink

Let me know if this doesn't work and I can get information to you.

So, the burning questions is, what replacement parts do I order? I know I have the 4 pad setup...now, just to answer the question about what I need for rotors!

Thanks,
Dave
Old 08-30-2010, 05:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just answered my own question...They're the 323mm rotors! Chris, pm me and let me know what kind of package you can offer that's competetive with the Blauparts link silver sent...
Old 08-31-2010, 06:38 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

YGPM

Quick Reply: Time for Brakes!