A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing chain tensioner guide replaced the plastic piece now having issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2020, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing chain tensioner guide replaced the plastic piece now having issues

Hello guys I need some pros out here for the save, First off thank you very much. So heres my deal. I did my valve cover gaskets and upon doing my drivers side there was a broken plastic guide piece that the chain rests on. So my mechanic was able to get the plastic piece in there. He loosened the tensioner with a tool and slipped it in. I was right there. Well when he got it in he marked the chain. Did not mark very well. and after messing with the new plastic piece he was able to get it in. lock it in place. he had to file under the plastic piece. When the plastic piece had broken the chain was resting on metal for who knows how long! but no codes or anything ever popped up. Now it did leave a mark on the bottom underneath the plastic piece like where the chain rested on the metal. he was able to shave it and get the plastic piece in there and we reassembled and started the car. When he started the car. It was crazy sounds and he kept revving it. Let the oil reach the top of the valves. It got quieter but there was a noise that was never there prior which seemed like it came from maybe the middle of engine. Was hard to tell. So the computer read that the cyl 5 6 7 was popping off. so i thought that was weird. again this car ran perfect before. I got it home. I said id do plugs and **** to see whats up. I pulled my computer little coder reader it popped off different cylinders and cam shaft position sensor. and car was not running properly at all. So my theory is that when that plastic piece broke the timing belt moved a little of course. and when they put the plastic piece back in. I think maybe the timing got thrown off. he said the timing read it was about the same. he showed it to me. looked to me one was a c. hair off then the other but im not the pro. Any sugestions? I read a forum and it said someone jumped the silenoid or something weird to get it going? I dont know. just wondering where I should start. I almost know that all those codes are not right. Something is off big time. What do you think? Timing off? Or something else ?
Old 03-04-2020, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 87 Likes on 77 Posts

What does this mean "the computer read that the cyl 5 6 7 was popping off" ?
Old 04-05-2020, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Remove valve covers and verify timing.
Old 04-06-2020, 02:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Did he use the bar to hold the cams in place ?

Sounds like your timing is out.