A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Was told a copied CD can damage the NAV system!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 07:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Was told a copied CD can damage the NAV system!

My Audi service rep told me that using a burned CD in my NAV system could damage it. Said something about the burn layer not being deep enough. Told me they had seen it a couple of times. I can't imagine how this could be the case. Have any of you heard something like this????

After 2 months I had finally gotten my NAV fixed - they had to swap out the whole instrument cluster as the NAV and Radio did not show up in the display. The NAV was swapped out for a new unit a month ago. When I picked the car up, I was told that the Mid-West CD (I'm in Chicago) was too scracthed, and I needed a new one. After I got home I cleaned it, and now it works fine. Would still like to make a backup copy...

2003 Black S8
Old 10-05-2006, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts
Default With a Nav Plus in the states you have to run burned CD's

Some work better than others, but I've used nothing but burned CD's, you have to do that to get the correct language using the U.S. maps and the Nav Plus unit from Europe.

Generally speaking, using the OEM discs would be best. But everybody who has a Nav Plus in the US is running burned discs.
Old 10-05-2006, 10:45 AM

Default Re: With a Nav Plus in the states you have to run burned CD's

I am not in doubt that you can use burned CD's. But could there be ANY validity to the statement that this can actually DAMAGE the reader??

First I was thinking it made NO sense at all, but then I did a search on the web. Found a place where they talked about heat melting they layer on writeable media. This was in the context of longivity of the media itself, but obviously if the layers peel off inside the reader, I could see some pontential damage to the reader. Note the car trunk can be a pretty hot place.

So - could it be true? If there is the potential for damage, one solution is to regularly change the burned CDs with new ones.

I guess if you use low quality CDs, the layer m
Old 10-05-2006, 12:04 PM

Default I'd try these.

Definitely a higher quality, more heat-resistant product. Note: I have only used them for archival purposes, not for replacing my nav CD's. Although, now that you mention it...<ul><li><a href="http://www.mam-a-store.com/standard---archive-gold.html">http://www.mam-a-store.com/standard---archive-gold.html</a</li></ul>
Old 10-05-2006, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Valid consideration, but a lot of hooey. The original DVD's are copies, too, and..

..don't think they're of the gold-plated type that the link below refers to. If the factory DVD's work fine, any DVD-R from a reputable company (certainly not at $32+ per disk) would do just fine.
Old 10-06-2006, 01:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default a copy is a copy so if the copy is faulty then so is the orig-****

the quality of the disk itself should be the only vairiable.
Burn onto a good disk and enjoy.
remember that a service dept have a vested interest in selling the OEM part