A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tranny acting up,possible limp mode only in Drive,HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny acting up,possible limp mode only in Drive,HELP!!!

Got in my car yesterday and the gear lights were all lit up. It would go into reverse after a thumping noise but when shift to drive it takes a while to get up to 55mph. It has a warranty from AAMCO from when i bought it and will expire on 2/8/09,but the back of the warranty says it "doesn't cover damage due to failure of electronic components".I'm still going to set up a time to take it to them.

How long can i drive in this condition?It's my only car.I don't have a way to get the codes.Any suggestions?
Old 01-14-2009, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default AAMCO's going to have to honor their warranty. Get it in as soon as you can. It will only get.....

worse. It is a mechanical failure in the transmission. Search the forum for "clutch A basket".
Old 01-14-2009, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 87 Likes on 77 Posts
Default Make sure the TCU did not get wet first...

Leaves clogging the center cowl drains and melting snow could have soaked the Trans brain. Was it stored outside when the snow came through?
Old 01-14-2009, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Make sure the TCU did not get wet first...

It stays outside
Old 01-14-2009, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: AAMCO's going to have to honor their warranty. Get it in as soon as you can.

Thanks.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default If the center drains are plugged, the TCU can get wet and go into limp mode...

Aamco will not cover that so I suggest checking on that first. Water, leaves, etc. in the area of that perforated cover aft of the intake manifold.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: If the center drains are plugged, the TCU can get wet...

Are you talking about the area in front of the intake manifold?
Old 01-14-2009, 11:36 AM

Default Re: If the center drains are plugged, the TCU can get wet...

see http://www.audipages.com/Tech_Articles/heatac/exaporatordrains.html for a full description<ul><li><a href="http://www.audipages.com/Tech_Articles/heatac/exaporatordrains.html">instructions on how to unclog</a></li></ul>
Old 01-14-2009, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default also make sure it's not the air mass sensor acting funny ....

mine has acted up lately with this cold weather lately. It will put the car in to limp mode if I don't let it warm up for a few minutes. Shutting the car off and then on clears it up and it acts like normal from then on. VAG tool shows inplas. reading at the sensor. Just in the really cool mornings.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Yes, scroll 2/3 the way down that link...

This is the drain you unclog with a bent piece of tubing and compressed air. The one which fills with water and then you hear sloshing in your console and get droplets of water out of the vent system. It can soak the TCU and give you the Limp Mode with all the PRNDL indicators lit at once.

I cleaned mine out with a wet vac and some small hose, plus a bit of 1/4" vacuum tubing on an air jet and shop air. I added water with a pitcher, blasted it with the shop air, and sucked it out with the wet vac (getting leaves and crud along with it.) The drains started running too.

Quick Reply: Tranny acting up,possible limp mode only in Drive,HELP!!!