A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tranny thought continued....

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2004, 07:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tranny thought continued....

After studying the tiptronic upgrade schematics...I think that I might just bypass the tiptronic module altogether. If it is just the three switches that the TCU is intercepted by for tiptronic, I could just replicate that with the paddle shifters and one on/off switch for the different modes from full automatic to manual shift. Paul or anyone else that could tell me if there's anyother mechanisms in the tiptronic module that would prohibit this simpler rendition please let me know.
Old 09-19-2004, 07:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yes, that would work.

Being MUCH too familiar w/ the tip control module in the tip shifter (spent the past 10 hrs working on the damn thing...finally got it fixed though), this is how it works.

The tip engage switch sends power to both the up and down shift. It also sends a signal to the TCU. When you upshift, that circuit breaks and voltage to the TCU (throught that lead only) drops to 0V. Same happens when you downshift.

You could easily replicate this with the switches; one to turn on the system (and send power to the other two switches), and one switch for upshift and downshift.

The sweet setup (one I plan to incorporate someday) would be to retrofit a s4 steering wheel, cancelling ring and turn signal stalk (I think these are the three pieces you need) into the A8. It has tip shift button installed. Now it won't have a turn on button (the steering wheel buttons only work once you move the shifter into tip) but it would be a cleaner installation.

Colby
Old 09-19-2004, 07:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm sooo excited I think I just wet myself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-19-2004, 07:48 PM

Default Facelift S8 Sports SW has these buttons too...

But if you don't get the tiptronic shifter, where would you leave the stick? Would it work if you just left it in D?

TBH, it's nice to have the stick as well for some occasions, eventhough I usually use the buttons.
Old 09-19-2004, 07:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

By looking at the schematics...I believe that no matter which gear its in, the TCU overrides it
Old 09-19-2004, 08:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Tranny thought continued....

The third switch is the engaging switch and it can engage tiptronic only in D. The shifter can go into tiptronic ONLY in D position. It is designed like that inside not only the top cover. It will prohibit tiptronic and reverse at the same time.
Old 09-19-2004, 08:02 PM

Default Correct.

Moving the lever over to tip is what "turns on tip". It's not the movement, but the switch it hits that turns it on. So yes, you could theoretically leave it in D, turn on the switch manually, and then shift with the buttons on the steering wheel. Now, what would happen if you shifted out of D w/ tip on? Don't know being that it's physically impossible w/ the tip shifter.

Colby
Old 09-19-2004, 08:04 PM

Default There's your answer...

So if you accidently shift into reverse w/ the tip button off, the TCU will override and turn off tip.

Colby
Old 09-19-2004, 08:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I'm going to make the paddle shifter switches out of aluminum...will let you folks know how it goes.
Old 09-19-2004, 08:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Yes, that would work.

Did the radio shack switch worked for you?

Quick Reply: Tranny thought continued....