A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tranny woes...HELP (long)

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tranny woes...HELP (long)

so as many know, i had my tranny rebuilt about 10months ago. I had a full rebuild which ran me $4650 after all was said and done. Since then the car has run just fine, except for some strangeness from the tranny. my symptoms are the following. I get intermittent hard upshifts, especially from 3-4 and 4-5. 4-5 is especially harsh at times...it will thump hard into 5th every so often...say 3-4 times on my 45min commute (this is always at low throttle and low speeds). I will also get a strange rev during shifts (again, usually 3-4 or 4-5) where instead of simply having the rpm drop during the shift, they will rise 500-1000rpm and then thump hard into the next gear. I also seem to get some weird downshifts as I am coming to a stop...either hard shifts or a sensation similar to not putting the clutch in on a manual and coming to a slow or stop in say 4th or 5th (did that make sense?). I am about at my whits end with this whole thing but sadly I cant afford to sell the car. I DO have another yr on my warranty but at this point i dont trust the people who rebuilt it. I took it to a reputable shop the other day with a certified audi tech on staff and had them change the fluid (no pan drop tho) and the fluid they drained out was red (not clear/yellow as audi fluid should be). They followed the audipages procedure and it is improved but still shifts ****ty. All those with preface A8s, my question is this: are they supposed to shift like butter...ie not feel the shifts? Or do you still feel a little something during shifting? Please advise.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Sounds like improper clutch plate clearances

There is specs for the clearances of all the clutch plates.....from my understanding, this is what makes a hard or soft shift.

My business partner's 98 had the transmission rebuilt years ago, and he has some of the same symptoms you mention. Without going back into it, I don't think there is much to do with it.

Sorry to hear. That is a major reason (and due to miles and upcoming maintenance) that I got rid of my 97, the S8 transmission is just silky smooth for me.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default so...what exactly does that mean? is that something I can make them fix? or do i just live with it?

...also is this detrimental to the transmission? ie will it ultimately cause it to fail prematurely? If i can tell them what i suspect is wrong with it and get the PROPER clearance numbers from someone *cough TOZO cough* is that something that is remedied? I really just need to know what i am to expect out of this. Im sure i can be persuasive enough to get them to re-do it if i can prove that something isnt right or is out of spec.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:44 AM

re pre-facelift shifting: Mine's very smooth at all shift points.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Don't know exactly how it's adjusted

But I imagine maybe with shims? The whole transmission needs to come out and essentially be rebuilt.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default well i called the shop and they said to bring it in and drive it with a tech to show them...

I go in next wed. Is there anything i should do between now and then to help them? Is there something i can run in VWTOOL or VagCom...and if so... HOW?