A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission fluid change question

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2002, 10:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission fluid change question

Recently acquired a '97 A8 Quattro. Coming up on 90k miles. After reading various posts regarding trans fluid change, I am confused. Should I only do the basic change by removing the drain plug and then refilling. In some other posts I read about a filter to change. Does this need to be done also? Recommendations? Where can the filter be obtained without being gouged by the local dealer?
Old 07-19-2002, 12:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: Transmission fluid change question

Audi doesn't call for transmission fluid changes, but I believe that it is a good idea. There are two plugs on the bottom of the transmission- the smaller plug is the drain plug and the larger plug is the fill/level check plug. To replace the filter (a good idea) the oil pan of the transmission must be removed. You will need the filter, the trans fluid (make SURE you get the right stuff or you will ruin the tranny!), a way to pump the fluid into the transmission through the bottom plug, and a replacement gasket for the oil pan cover. While your'e in there, there are 4 magnets on the bead of the oil pan that should also be cleaned. I would strongly recommend purchasing the Bentley A8 Official factory repair manual (on CD only) if you want to work on the car yourself (which many of us on this forum do, since it is very difficult to find a mechanic that really knows the A8). You can find the CD for around $70 if you search the net. MSRP is $99.

Congratulations on your purchase!
Old 07-19-2002, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

For pictures and more info on the tranny, go to the Yahoo address in my sig file
Old 07-19-2002, 07:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Additional Question for anyone. I have a late 97 A8Q with the DTE transmission. When we attempted to drop the pan to change the filter at 45K miles, we discovered that the right-side exhaust pipe passed close below some of the pan fasteners. We would not be able to get a tool on them without dismantling the exhaust system starting at the right manifold. This we did not do. Ended up draining and replacing as much fluid as possible via the drain plug. Drained fluid looked like new. The filter was not available locally and took some effort to obtain. Leads me to believe that Audi does not intend that this transmission be opened on the car. Does the exhaust pipe block access on the earlier transmissions? If so, how did you remove the pan?
Old 07-20-2002, 10:09 AM
Moe
Audiworld Junior Member

If you do not intend to replace the filter, the best system that I have seen for replacing the fluid is offered by Jiffy lube. The use a pumping system to replace the dirty fluid with fresh fluid by splicing their system in the transmission cooling lines. I belive this is the best way to get the whole of the fluid replaced (there is a lot of fluid in the oil cooler and torque converter that draining or dropping the pan will not fix). I have not used them for my A8, but they charged me approx $75 for my Audi 100.
Old 07-20-2002, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

I wouldn't be using Jiffy Lube to splice my lines......usually they are not that well trained.....
Old 07-20-2002, 09:51 PM
Moe
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: I wouldn't be using Jiffy Lube to ....

You should go and see how simple and effective their tranny oil exchange equipement works. They do not splice into the line. The diconnect one of the compression fittings and put this reservoir in series with the line. Fresh oil goes in on one side and dirty oil dispalces in on the aother side with a membrane in between. Trust me, I am no fan of them and this is the only thing good that I have see from them.