A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission problem....help...

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 10:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jakematic
Most of us are the same. That's why we aren't posting over on the D4 forum

Sounds like you have the car you really want.
I hope it works out for you.

Keep us posted!
Well, it really is the car I wanted, it was either this ride or a 2001 allroad.

I actually got the allroad first at the auction, but the seller had a reserve price and did not release it....(got it for 1250.00)

So I ended up buying this one 2 days later.....

cheers!!!
Old 05-05-2011, 07:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

[QUOTE=tozoM8;24139948]
Originally Posted by Cks69
this is my second one.....first was a 1992 100cs 5spd 2.8, which is my daily driver......

If it was mine I would just use Mobil 1 to see if low fluid is the problem.
http://www.audipages.com/Tech_Articl...servicing.html

What type of Mobil 1?

Thanks!!!
Old 05-05-2011, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts

I haven't heard anything good about cars that are bought from auctions. I went to some auctions a few times and talked to some dealers, the cars that have to go to auctions are the ones no one wants. The usable ones are bought by the small used car lots, the better ones, the bigger lots and the best ones are on dealers lot.
Well, the body alone should worth more than $1750. If you don't have the money to fix it, try to bring it back to the auction, they may do it for you free.

Cheers,

Louis

Last edited by ltooz_a6_a8_q7; 05-06-2011 at 11:32 AM.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
I haven't heard anything good about cars that are bought from auctions. I went to some auctions a few times and talked to some dealers, the cars that have to go to auctions are the ones no one wants. The usable ones are bought by the small used car lots, the better ones, the bigger lots and the best ones are on dealers lot.
Well, the body a lone should worth more than $1750. If you don't have the money to fix it, try to bring it back to the auction, they may do it for you free.

Cheers,

Louis
yeah.....I also thing that I could get my money back in parts...xenon's should be worth something, engine (95k Miles) as well, I saw that the rear curtains is worth something too....18" pie plates, nav, etc...

.....I would really like to keep it, but lets see what happens with the transmission.....

I will be replacing the filter/fluid/gasket and take it from there.................
Old 05-06-2011, 11:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default paging tozo....

....on a side note....I will skip on the trying to add fluid part and straight to replacing the fluid and filter, but my question is...

What other type of fluid can I use as an alternative for a full fill up???

Like I stated in earlier posts...I just want to "test the transmission"... IF (knock on wood) the fluid is the culprit, I will flush the fluid and refill with the "good stuff"

But what kind of "cheap alternative" fluid can I use just to "Test" and not flushing 7-8 qts of pentosin down the drain.....

Could I also use (don't know which one it is) the so called "additive" to convert the oil "just for very limited test purposes" ?

Also, IF, and I mean IF I go the road of a rebuild....is this what I need?

hXXp://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AUDI-A8-ZF5HP24FLA-TRANSMISSION-REBUILD-KIT-1997-2004-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2a0bbd8d31QQitemZ18058 5598257QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries

(replace XX with tt)

Or is this just "part of what I need for a rebuild"

Thanks!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-06-2011, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts

I don't think replacing the fluids would help. If it does drives when it works, then I think it's the electrical problems. I read a lot about A8 transmission and I believe it's the F switch and the solenoids at the transmission. The engine looks extremely dirty and the car parked outside for so long, go under the car, start looking at these wirings of transmission solenoids and the F switch, clean them and may be it will help to fix something. Don't jump to the worst thing yet, try the little ones first.

F125

http://www.audipages.com/Tech_Articl...chreplace.html

Good luck,

Louis

Last edited by ltooz_a6_a8_q7; 05-06-2011 at 11:52 AM.
Old 05-06-2011, 12:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
I don't think replacing the fluids would help. If it does drives when it works, then I think it's the electrical problems. I read a lot about A8 transmission and I believe it's the F switch and the solenoids at the transmission. The engine looks extremely dirty and the car parked outside for so long, go under the car, start looking at these wirings of transmission solenoids and the F switch, clean them and may be it will help to fix something. Don't jump to the worst thing yet, try the little ones first.

F125

http://www.audipages.com/Tech_Articl...chreplace.html

Good luck,

Louis
Thanks for the reply......

......one more thing to look at....who knows.....anything is better than a rebuild...hehehehe
Old 05-06-2011, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

This should be $8/qt at autozone. http://www.mobiloil.com/usa-english/...hetic_atf.aspx
Old 05-17-2011, 01:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

that's PS fluid from the lines going into the cooler. You can tell someone tried to fix it with worm drive clamps. Fuel injection hose clamps are the only ones I've gotten to work. Nothing to do with the transmission.

Trans code probably means rebuild, I recognize that code when mine went, same symptoms and year.

Bob

Last edited by A8CT; 05-17-2011 at 02:00 AM.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

.......well, I have not had the time to work on the car, but I am looking to get info now and be prepared for a rebuild......

Now, where can I get parts at good prices? (rebuild kits, clutch drum, hard parts, etc etc....oh, and at good prices.................hehehehe

Where do you get your parts from tozom8?

Want to (at least try) be one step ahead.....

Also, is there a manual for these puppies out there??

My dads mechanic will (if there is a rebuild involved) do the work. He doesn't do transmissions, but, he has worked on them several times (mostly because he doesn't like to work on them because of personal choice, but if its necessary, he will) so a manual would be awesome to have.

Thanks!!!

Quick Reply: Transmission problem....help...