A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Problem or Something Else?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 06:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Problem or Something Else?

A few weeks back I had a diagnostics run and my TPS was bad. Although the check engine light was on, the engine wasn’t giving me any issues so I wasnt in a hurry to sweat under the hood. I started shopping around, though and happened to find a TPS on sale for around $70, so I picked it up. I know they usually run around $200 and figured when I need one, I wont be able to find one on sale, so I better pick this one up. The only thing I had been experiencing with my tran is the "hunting" everyone seems to experience where it shifts between 4 & 5. Before I got the chance to replace the old TPS my car crapped out on me.

The other night I was on my way to an event and everything was going along fine until I exited the interstate. When I came to a stop the tran jolted a bit and when I pushed the gas down it shifted hard into gear, the rpms increased to around 2500 and the car slowly started to move forward and eventually got up to speed. I noticed the gear panel in the dash was all lit up as if I were in all the gears at once. It seemed as if the car was in a high gear. It took a while for it to get up to speed, but once up to speed the car drove and drives ok at higher speeds. Whenever the car comes to a stop and I give it gas to go again, the rpms go up and the car slowly SLOWLY gets up to speed.

Today, I spent time taking the throttle body off, cleaning out the build up and replacing the TPS. I was hoping this would fix the problem, but it didnt. The throttle does seem to be more responsive and the engine runs well. When I pulled out of the driveway, Reverse was A-ok but when I shifted from reverse to D, it went into limp mode, all gears lit up and when I gave it gas the tran shifted HARD and did what it's been doing... rpms went up and slowly the car moved up to speed.

I seem to remember a similar situation when I had the Mass Air Flow sensor replaced a few months back. Actually, the first MAF I purchased went bad within a few days so I took it back to the shop and they replaced it at no cost. All has been fine since... until yesterday when it started acting crazy. Although the MAF issue was similar, the current situation is a bit different with the slow speed to high gear and then drives ok.

I've also noticed a small leak coming from under my engine which is likely totally separate from the trans problem. The leak is really small, but nevertheless. I have looked around the engine and never could find exactly where it was coming from. The leak is minimal but over time its built up under the engine now it starts to smoke after the engine heats up. I was thinking it was from the valve cover gasket. But today, when replacing the TPS I noticed the Rear Breather Hose was cracked and oil seemed to be gathered in that area more than anywhere else. Not sure if replacing this will help me out with the tran issue I'm having, but it obviously needs replacing. I also do not know if oil is actually coming out of the hole in the hose or if the oil is just dripping from near the hole and it appears to be coming from the hole or if oil actually comes through the hole and since its cracked oil is leaking out.

Sorry about the novel message. I dont have a VAGCOM so I cant check the codes myself, but my check engine light is on and has been on for a few weeks now. Any info you can provide would be very much appreciated. Thank you.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Same problem here. The PRD432 lit up after putting it in D and giving it some gas. The tranny made a thud noise and check engine light came on. Im good friends with the local Euro car mechanic and he let me come in and run codes. It told me incorrect gear ratio. Which didn't tell me a lot. After doing research I checked the TCU plugs and looked at the F125, no corrosion, my ecu was dry and everything seemed okay. I can't get it out of limp mode. Anyone know why the A8 would get stuck in limp mode?
Old 06-22-2010, 07:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

It's driving me crazy! Right now, my only other option is my girlfriend's cavelier and it's difficult to go from an A8 to a cavelier.

I just hope it's not the transmission. About a month ago I had the trans cleaned out, filter replaced the fluid flushed and replaced with Pentosin fluid and it has been driving well. No signs of any issues from the trans and then WHAM! This happens.

Anyone out there who can offer some advice would be very much appreciated!
Old 06-22-2010, 07:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It has a broken clutch A basket. You will need a rebuild.