A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission TC Dropout and Hunting.....some new thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Transmission TC Dropout and Hunting.....some new thoughts

Last week I plugged the vag-com in and through the engine module, could see the throttle position and idle switch.

After looking at how sensitive the switch is, and how little throttle you put on the A8 when driving 45 MPH (when it hunts on flat ground) or when you lift on the highway, it sure feels like it is always associated with that switch being in the "made" or "on" position.

Give it a little gas to open circuit the switch and it seems to go away. Keep your foot on the pedal just a tiny bit when lifting on the highway, the torque converter won't drop out.

I know Tozo adjusted the switch so it would stay open....and he reported no change.

However, there is a procedure to adjust the throttle cable, then to reset the idle switch.

I will have to try it.

And my camera died this weekend, so I probably won't have any pictures.....

Let's see if I can expense a new one!!!

:-)
Old 08-07-2006, 08:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Don't blame the switch for what goes bad after it correctly tells the TCM that you're coasting

The TCM needs to know when you're coasting so it can start slipping the converter clutch. That's normal on a non-thumping car. Don't blame the switch for what goes bad after it closes.

Again, when you take your foot off the gas, it is _normal_ for the converter clutch to go from locked to regulating (partially locked). You can confirm this using VAG-COM on a non-thumping car.

Therefore, a dropout when you take your foot off the gas isn't a totally misplaced event -- instead it's too much of a good thing: the converter clutch unlocked too much. The thump is the correction.

Hunting could arise from the same mechanism: too much reaction when the TCM tries to increase or decrease the converter clutch slip.

Tom
Old 08-07-2006, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Correct, but I might have too much overlap

You're probably right, but it's worth looking into.
Old 08-07-2006, 09:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Paul, if the TCM memory is erased, does the hunting go away until it learns again?
Old 08-07-2006, 10:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default If it drops out then thumps after you _abruptly_ take your foot off the gas ...

then there doesn't seem much opportunity for switch adjustment to make a difference, right? I'm thinking in that case the throttle closes so quickly that it doesn't really matter if the switch engages a few degrees early or late.

Tom
Old 08-07-2006, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

No
Old 08-07-2006, 11:02 AM

Default OK, I am not a ZF expert, but it seems like if you could create a wider dead band

on the throttle switch around idle it might be a good band aid for the problem.

I wonder if the converter lock/unlock/partial lock is dropping the line pressure enough to cause slipping on the 4/5 clutches, thus causing converter to unlock, then the cycle repeats.

At light throttle the line pressure is most susceptable to pressure drops due to lower pump speed. At least this was true in the turbo 400 in my Oldsmobile
Old 08-07-2006, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Hydraulic pump is direct driven from flywheel

So until the torque converter drops out, and engine speed changes, it's at the same output pressure.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:19 AM

Default I figured that, the TC takes some hydraulic flowrate to lock.

When this flowrate is consumed it will drop the line pressure. The effect of this is less at higher RPMs.

Just something I was thinking about.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Got it

Quick Reply: Transmission TC Dropout and Hunting.....some new thoughts