A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission thump ( or two ) on down hill, after fluid and filter change. Please read, but long.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2005, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Transmission thump ( or two ) on down hill, after fluid and filter change. Please read, but long.

I needed a NYS inspection and while I had the car at this professional non-dealer audi shop I asked them to also change my oil, and transmission fluid/screen.

Now the previous shop I used to go to has done my transmission fluid three times since I bought my car ( I like to be safe ). I had problems with the shops work ethic causing me to switch the shop ( I let work on my car when I lack the time). They had problems with transmission fluid leaking from the pan ( I got under the car and found it ). After bringing my car to the newer shop after my frustration level went over the edge after they did work on my girls V8 Quattro, the newer shop pulled the pan, and there was no gasket, just silicone. The older shop tightened the pan so much the pans edge had to be flattened. The newer shop said since they did not have a gasket, they probably never changed the screen.

I have never experienced ANY transmission issues with my car at ANY point before the newer shop touched my car.

Since the newer shop changed the fluid and screen, I have a pretty serious drivetrain thump while coasting downhills.

So, what do I do.

The shop that did whatever they did to not effect the tranny works half ***.

The shop that was very professional much have used wrong fluid?

I am thinking I should buy the gasket/screen set myself and go back to the older shop for them to service it like they used to...

Thanks for your opinions,
Old 10-02-2005, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default No paper gasket doesn't mean they didn't changed the filter.

Some gasket set has a very hard paper pan gasket. It breaks easy. They probably broke the pan gasket and didn't want to buy another set, so they used RTV liquid gasket. There is nothing wrong with RTV. Most transmissions don't use paper gasket anyway.
Old 10-02-2005, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You should check the fluid level also.
Old 10-02-2005, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Transmission thump ( or two ) on down hill, after fluid and filter change. Please read, but long

Sometimes I think the more you touch the car, the more chance for it to get screwed up. If I can't do it myself for any reasons, I rather have it NOT done at all by anyone else.

Goodluck and hope you fix it correctly,
Old 10-03-2005, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Don't know if one has anything to do with the other

Your tranny might of just started the drop out of lock out.....mine has been doing that for years.

If I knew what would fix it, I would get it fixed!
Old 10-03-2005, 08:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Transmission thump

Dan,
Was one of the shops in question Pierce Auto. They did a tranny service for me a few years ago and I had to take it back a few times. Right after they did the service I had a leak in the pan, and it was leaking RED fluid. I brought it back and they tightened up the pan bolts and said it was fine. Their explanation for the red fluid was that they put the Audi fluid in a universal container that had red synthetic fluid in it and it must have dyed the Audi fluid. Still had a leak after that and brought it back. They did the whole service over again. The car has been great since. Some thump going downhill, but operating as it should with 117K. Havn't been back to Pierce since I got the Vag-Com.
Hope you get it straightned out.
Doug